TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently traded my 87 Chrysler fifth avenue for a 2002 crown Victoria hoping it to be a better daily driver, I since fell in love and want to drive nothing more than a Vic, however I’m looking for a used transmission and found a 4r70w pulled from a fox body mustang I am wondering will this work,

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
12,409 Posts
Fox Mustangs never got the 4R70W; even if they did the engines in those cars all use SBF bellhousing transmissions that won't bolt up to the modulars.

Look for a trans from a 99-03 Mustang, Marauder, Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. They will be a direct drop-in swap. Anything later than 03 will most likely have the turbine OSS that won't work with your car. Anything older has the older valve body and/or roller clutch.

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
You mention you have a 2002 car; your transmission is as good as one from a JY at this point; a rebuild kit should be do-able by any competent shop. Adding in the "super-tuff" plate into the valvebody does the jmod for you, and changing out the shaft seals for the one piece design will make it last forever. Buy a new torque converter for a mercury marauder, add a fluid cooler, and it will last forever.

Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2004 TC was unfortunately hit from the rear with me in it (more on that later) while I was literally on my first "real" drive after the learning procedure from a very recen sonnax valve body swap + accoutrements. I would love to see the trans go to a good home but it's a 75w. I am very well aware they didn't go to the 75 until the following model year but the build sheet states overwise as did the spring setup in the 1-2. I didn't believe it either until I pulled it and realized the hd springs were the same that just popped me in the forehead. I did put the new ones back. Why post this here and now? My research suggests that he transmission will work on my 98 mark as long as I use the older electronicals. I'd like a stranger on the Internet to tell me the truth bc that might be rhe difference between me keeping as a parts queen or letting the insurance company haul it off. If the former, I will part with some parts of anyone is interested. I drove an 87 fifth Ave from 99-07! Did your electroluminescent carriage lights work? LED strips were not so popular back then but I'd sure pop in a couple if I still had one. My gawd those seats were so comfy while slap shifting through all 3 gears on a B&M floor mount and listening to the true dual flow master 40s come to life! (The 904 was swapped with a 727 out of a van. Did that one myself too but I was much younger obviously)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2004 TC was unfortunately hit from the rear with me in it (more on that later) while I was literally on my first "real" drive after the learning procedure from a very recen sonnax valve body swap + accoutrements. I would love to see the trans go to a good home but it's a 75w. I am very well aware they didn't go to the 75 until the following model year but the build sheet states overwise as did the spring setup in the 1-2. I didn't believe it either until I pulled it and realized the hd springs were the same that just popped me in the forehead. I did put the new ones back. Why post this here and now? My research suggests that he transmission will work on my 98 mark as long as I use the older electronicals. I'd like a stranger on the Internet to tell me the truth bc that might be rhe difference between me keeping as a parts queen or letting the insurance company haul it off. If the former, I will part with some parts of anyone is interested. I drove an 87 fifth Ave from 99-07! Did your electroluminescent carriage lights work? LED strips were not so popular back then but I'd sure pop in a couple if I still had one. My gawd those seats were so comfy while slap shifting through all 3 gears on a B&M floor mount and listening to the true dual flow master 40s come to life! (The 904 was swapped with a 727 out of a van. Did that one myself too but I was much younger obviously)
I really miss the fifth ave, but the guy I got the crown Victoria from says he’s having coolant issues with the fifth ave now, I guess it’s karma, no way did he not know the transmission was going out,,,,

You mention you have a 2002 car; your transmission is as good as one from a JY at this point; a rebuild kit should be do-able by any competent shop. Adding in the "super-tuff" plate into the valvebody does the jmod for you, and changing out the shaft seals for the one piece design will make it last forever. Buy a new torque converter for a mercury marauder, add a fluid cooler, and it will last forever.
The quote on price to pay a transmission mechanic to build no way can I afford to have mine rebuilt, I don’t think I could possibly do the rebuild or the j-mod myself? However I can pull the 178$ Junk yard one and put it back into my car, and he’ll even if I end up buying 7 transmissions at that low of a price before I get a good one (I hope not) it’ll still be cheaper for me to go the junk yard route, now if I can learn how to pull the j-mod off myself that’s ytbd,
So what are you saying I should rebuild mine myself, and thanks for your advice,,,

·
Registered
5 Posts
The quote on price to pay a transmission mechanic to build no way can I afford to have mine rebuilt, I don’t think I could possibly do the rebuild or the j-mod myself? However I can pull the 178$ Junk yard one and put it back into my car, and he’ll even if I end up buying 7 transmissions at that low of a price before I get a good one (I hope not) it’ll still be cheaper for me to go the junk yard route, now if I can learn how to pull the j-mod off myself that’s ytbd,
So what are you saying I should rebuild mine myself, and thanks for your advice,,,
I really miss the fifth ave, but the guy I got the crown Victoria from says he’s having coolant issues with the fifth ave now, I guess it’s karma, no way did he not know the transmission was going out,,,,
I don't miss my fifth except for that one I left out while my shifty auto body guy was around. I doubt that one will "turn up" but I do have a transmission I'll sell you or if you get that junkyard jerb, post back. If I don't catch it, some other well informed lover-of-luxury will. I was once afraid of them trans missions but after an ass load of research and dropping the $350or so on that valve body (as well as the mercon V, new pan with a plug, a filter, and gasket they claim is good forever but was somehow leaking) I now feel like I could really do some damage if left alone with a transmission long enough. If it were me after the research and performing the procedure on the 4r75, I wouldn't want to install a transmission without those sonnax parts. They do already come with the inherent design decisions remediated so it's like the best of both worlds - a cheap trans and a j mod! Then again, you can always do the sonnax valve body shuffle with it in the car later. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,409 Posts
J-mod is easy, just read through the article a couple times and search for a few folks who've done it and posted about it to read their questions.

On a later model trans there really isn't much that needs to be changed, though. However they are much more tolerant to the faster shifts that help save the clutches and keep the heat down. Read through some of the content in the transmission articles section. We haven't fully revamped the content there in decades, but the J-mod articles are good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
J-mod is easy, just read through the article a couple times and search for a few folks who've done it and posted about it to read their questions.

On a later model trans there really isn't much that needs to be changed, though. However they are much more tolerant to the faster shifts that help save the clutches and keep the heat down. Read through some of the content in the transmission articles section. We haven't fully revamped the content there in decades, but the J-mod articles are good.
That is absolutely a true story and I was planning on doing it all myself until I got to the part about the whatsjamahdodgie slamming into the plate and causing all sorts of pressure issues. Even though mine wasn't on that list, I starting thinking about all the issues one can have if something wasn't done properly. Then I

just bought the valve body with the lifetime warranty and had it back on the road the next morning to drive to work! (Very slowly per the relearn)

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
The 4r75w isn't a lot different; it just has heavier planetary set and different direct drum, iirc.
These are not hard to rebuild, and the last 2002 I took apart had the same probllems as the older ones; the seals were hard as a rock, and not sealing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't miss my fifth except for that one I left out while my shifty auto body guy was around. I doubt that one will "turn up" but I do have a transmission I'll sell you or if you get that junkyard jerb, post back. If I don't catch it, some other well informed lover-of-luxury will. I was once afraid of them trans missions but after an ass load of research and dropping the $350or so on that valve body (as well as the mercon V, new pan with a plug, a filter, and gasket they claim is good forever but was somehow leaking) I now feel like I could really do some damage if left alone with a transmission long enough. If it were me after the research and performing the procedure on the 4r75, I wouldn't want to install a transmission without those sonnax parts. They do already come with the inherent design decisions remediated so it's like the best of both worlds - a cheap trans and a j mod! Then again, you can always do the sonnax valve body shuffle with it in the car later. Good luck!
Where are you located

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

will a 1999 civilian model transmission work plug and play direct bolt on to my 2002 civilian???? Thanks for all info from everyone

·
Super Moderator
12,409 Posts
will a 1999 civilian model transmission work plug and play direct bolt on to my 2002 civilian???? Thanks for all info from everyone
Yep, should be plug and play.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, should be plug and play.
The guy I got the car from told me the check engine light was on because of a 02 sensor, however the sensor he is talking about is not 02 it’s the abs sensor, so the abs sensor from the driver side front tire is pulled out from where it needs to go, could that be the cause of transmission trouble, also my parking brake light and traction control light is on, I hooked a code reader to the car and don’t get abs light just parking brake and traction control, from what I read it can Cause serious problems even transmission problems????????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I’ve recently started having transmission problems and looked into to my car further and the abs sensors have been removed from the previous owner, I bought the car with the check engine light, traction control like, and parking brake light on, well he showed me the abs sensor but said it was the 02 sensor so I thought nothing of it, I drove the car 400 miles before it started to shift slowly, that is when I found a transmission, and looked into the abs sensor hooked the driver side front one back up, look over and the passenger side one is removed also, when you ask Siri or google if bad and sensors can cause transmission problems, it definitely says yes, has anyone ever seen or heard of a bad abs or unhooked abs sensors causing funny shifting??? If I were to fix this would my transmission return to normal shifting or should I continue through with the transmission swap???? Thanks for your time I really love my vic and need her back on the streets

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,584 Posts
The ABS shouldn't have anything to do with the trans shifting.

• Helpful
Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
If I were to fix this would my transmission return to normal shifting
No. The ABS on YOUR vehicle in particular does NOT have anything to do with the transmission operation as I stated in another related post.

Your ABS and Traction control are part of the braking system. If you have a braking emergency; you are more likely to lose control of your vehicle. Fix the ABS and the transmission.

should I continue through with the transmission swap????
Yes; transmission problems are usually mechanical problems unless your Check Engine Light / Malfunction indicator lamp is Transmission related. If you don't have a P700-P799 code it's not related.

Providing the actual Code(s) you are telling us about would help. It's impossible to give you advice without critical information like this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts