TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No. The ABS on YOUR vehicle in particular does NOT have anything to do with the transmission operation as I stated in another related post.

Your ABS and Traction control are part of the braking system. If you have a braking emergency; you are more likely to lose control of your vehicle. Fix the ABS and the transmission.

Yes; transmission problems are usually mechanical problems unless your Check Engine Light / Malfunction indicator lamp is Transmission related. If you don't have a P700-P799 code it's not related.

Providing the actual Code(s) you are telling us about would help. It's impossible to give you advice without critical information like this.
That’s what I’m going to do I just don’t understand why someone would have disconnected them, it doesn’t make any sense? And the transmissions I found, the only one I’d pay for is from a 99 crown Victoria civilian, my car is a 2002 civilian lx model, will it still be plugg and play, direct bolt on?

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
12,413 Posts
That’s what I’m going to do I just don’t understand why someone would have disconnected them, it doesn’t make any sense?
Some people just really hate ABS and don't know how else to disable it - even though pulling the fuse would do the trick.

That’s what I’m going to do I just don’t understand why someone would have disconnected them, it doesn’t make any sense? And the transmissions I found, the only one I’d pay for is from a 99 crown Victoria civilian, my car is a 2002 civilian lx model, will it still be plugg and play, direct bolt on?

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
There's no connection between the ecc and the abs system, our boxes don't talk to each other, thankfully.

·
Super Moderator
12,413 Posts
He's talking about an 02 Panther. I know starting in 97 the FN10s got the traction control setup that DID link up the PCM to the wheel speed sensors - I don't know if the later Panthers had that...

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
I know the programming they did for the two-foot method of driving that they teach to troopers here will smoke the TC clutch. Supposedly, if you keep it over 3k rpm, touching the brake probably won't release the TC clutch. It's supposed to, and it works sometimes, lol. But not consistently enough to keep me from killing one. :)
Seems like the later eecs have can-bus interconnects. Seems like the panthers have a crash reporting function; there was an idiot that drove 100mph on a residential street, and they were able to reconstruct what happened.

March 31, 2022 by Steven M. Gursten

3 Shares
Tweet2
Pin1
Email
Black boxes are in almost all cars on the road today. Consistent with their official name – “event data recorder” – these devices record driving and vehicle data from immediately before, during and after an automobile crash. This data can assist in crash investigations and is often used as evidence in court cases.

Event data recorders provide critical evidence if you are ever injured in a crash. The data helps lawyers and police determine the true cause of a motor vehicle accident. This can help a lawyer prove the negligence of the at-fault driver who caused a car accident and who has injured you or a loved one.
In my own experience as a Michigan car and truck accident lawyer, I regularly use event data recorder information in cars and trucks as evidence in most of my serious auto wreck cases. Often, in the event of a fatality or a very serious injury, Michigan State Police will have already downloaded the data as part of the police investigation as well. However, this is still the exception, not the rule. Most smaller cities and townships in Michigan do not have the resources to download black boxes as part of a police investigation into a car or truck accident.
For an injured auto accident victim, the data from an event data recorder can mean the difference between winning and losing. For example, in a typical “he said/she said” automobile accident that does not have eyewitnesses, the information in the event data recorder may be the only source that tells the story of what really happened and caused the car crash when one driver is lying.
If it looks like fault will be contested or the person who causes an automobile accident is refusing to take responsibility, it is imperative to hire a lawyer as soon as possible to perform an event data recorder download. In this regard, it is critical that your lawyer has the actual experience to know how to quickly get this data to help you or a loved one get the best possible settlement in your case.
What are black boxes in cars?
A black box in a car gathers driving information about the vehicle before, during and after a crash. The official name of this device is “event data recorder.” The data gathered includes, speed, acceleration, braking, steering and air-bag deployment.
These event data recorders are now installed as a standard feature by the vehicle’s manufacturer for all new cars.
Do cars have black boxes in them?
Unless the vehicle is very old, it is likely that there is an event data recorder or black box in every car on the road today. Event data recorders are “standard” in many vehicles manufactured by Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, Nissan and Honda.
Does the federal government require an event data recorder for every vehicle?
No. At one point, the requirement for event data recorders in every vehicle was being strongly considered and with the push to embrace new safety technology and to pave the way to future autonomous or semi-autonomous driving, it came close to passing. However, as of today, there is still no federal law in place. A mandate for an event data recorder was likely not more aggressively pursued because nearly all vehicle manufacturers are now already installing them voluntarily.
Are there federal safety rules that apply for vehicles with event data recorders in them?
Yes. The federal safety regulations for “Event Data Recorders” apply to vehicles “manufactured on or after September 1, 2012” if the vehicles “are equipped with an event data recorder” or a black box in a car. (49 CFR § 563.3)
I am pretty sure our cars don't have this function.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
He's talking about an 02 Panther. I know starting in 97 the FN10s got the traction control setup that DID link up the PCM to the wheel speed sensors - I don't know if the later Panthers had that...
im talking about a 2002 crown Victoria, so what are you saying? The guy above is right or wrong I’m confused so is the abs in my car in any way connected to the transmission

·
Super Moderator
12,413 Posts
This website is for the 1989-1997 Thunderbird, Cougar and 1993-1998 Mark VIII.

There are some members with experience on other platforms. The engines and transmissions used in the cars this website caters to were also used in many other Ford vehicles. However, just because the powertrain is similar does not mean chassis electronics and other components are.

Keep in mind my first point - this site doesn't cater to the Panther platform. We do our best to help when folks come by asking for help with the 4R70W and engines similar to what came in the MN12 and FN10 - but we are not experts in everything Ford made that uses them.

You're going to need to do some more research about your car, and unfortunately unless someone with definitive firsthand knowledge chimes in, you probably won't find it here. I recommend you search for and purchase the factory service manual and electrical/vacuum troubleshooting manuals for your car.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts