TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 02 PI motor swapped into my 94 tbird. I had Fordchip reflash my EEC and the motor has never run correctly.

At the time of the swap I also got a brand new GT MAF.

The engine pings usually at low-mid rpm's. If I rev the engine sometimes the engine rpms will fall until the car just dies.

I've got already got colder plugs and tstat and have tried reducing the gap size below the stock recommendation. Car is the same.

I've messed with the octane pin in both positions also which didnt help.

I'm running 91 octane CALI gas which was supposed to have been "accounted" for with the tune. The locals around here all say it sounds like a really bad tune was done and I'm running out of ideas.

APEX says they can handle the problem for 600 dollars: tune and chip.

What are my other options and what can I try before I shell out even more money?

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
best thing would be to have the car datalogged to see where the problem lies

or you could send me your EEC, and i can copy the tune off it, load it into my EEC Tuner, run it in my car, and tell ya the results n send back your EEC......lol.....just throwing it out there :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not to sound like a d*ck or anything, but that is why everyone goes to Lonnie or Darrin, they're proven, they KNOW our cars. I have friends other places, and I get recommended by "mechanics" to go other places....but Lonnie and Darrin KNOW our cars...stick with them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ThunderBeast86 said:
Not to sound like a d*ck or anything, but that is why everyone goes to Lonnie or Darrin, they're proven, they KNOW our cars. I have friends other places, and I get recommended by "mechanics" to go other places....but Lonnie and Darrin KNOW our cars...stick with them.
You dont sound like a d*ck. I'm just trying to figure out my options here. Maybe they will chime in and give me some ideas on what I can do to fix this tune. I mean, I don't even know if I can plug a chip back into my EEC since it has been reburned.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Without knowing the programming it's hard to say. Chances are it's either set up with too much timing or the MAF transfer function is wrong. It they are correct then you have a problem with your MAF or a lot of carbon build up in the CCs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok so how can I figure out if the programming is correct then? Do I have to get a dyno tune? Can I send my EEC to someone? Anyone in CA I can take it to? Anything I can buy to check it?

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
I'm wondering if the guy programmed it for the stock maf instead of the GT maf and its messin it all up. I'd try putting in the stock maf sensor first and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
slo1 said:
Ok so how can I figure out if the programming is correct then? Do I have to get a dyno tune? Can I send my EEC to someone? Anyone in CA I can take it to? Anything I can buy to check it?
You need to contact the person that programmed it. This should be the first thing you do after you've checked out your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Honestly....Sell that chip or send it back to the guy who tuned your car, I don't know what software it uses.

$600 to APEX?
I don't know who that is...but tell them to go "away". ;)

Lonnie is right here in the thread...PM him EVERY DETAIL about your swap, including everything done to your tranny, tire size, ETC. Buy the Xcal2 for $400 (might be less now, I have no idea), and Lonnie will provide you with the perfect mail-order tune. I guarantee Lonnie will program your computer better. IF that doesn't fix EVERYTHING, then we'll talk engine problems.
Without knowing the bozo who did your tune, or what he forgot, or didn't forgot to tune, we can't tell you.
It could be a maf, it could be timing, A/F ratio, injectors, etc.
What if you got an injector stuck open? I could see that making your car die...it wouldn't be able to combust, you'll flood your cylinder and ruin your engine.
What if you have 19lb injectors, and the tuner has it down for 24lb? You might not get enough fuel and it pings, there are too many possibilities after an Exploder swap and a random guy tuning your car.

I'll say it once again..Lonnie is the man.
(Sorry for the beating a dead horse)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ThunderBeast86 said:
Honestly....Sell that chip or send it back to the guy who tuned your car, I don't know what software it uses.

$600 to APEX?
I don't know who that is...but tell them to go "away". ;)

Lonnie is right here in the thread...PM him EVERY DETAIL about your swap, including everything done to your tranny, tire size, ETC. Buy the Xcal2 for $400 (might be less now, I have no idea), and Lonnie will provide you with the perfect mail-order tune. I guarantee Lonnie will program your computer better. IF that doesn't fix EVERYTHING, then we'll talk engine problems.
Without knowing the bozo who did your tune, or what he forgot, or didn't forgot to tune, we can't tell you.
It could be a maf, it could be timing, A/F ratio, injectors, etc.
What if you got an injector stuck open? I could see that making your car die...it wouldn't be able to combust, you'll flood your cylinder and ruin your engine.
What if you have 19lb injectors, and the tuner has it down for 24lb? You might not get enough fuel and it pings, there are too many possibilities after an Exploder swap and a random guy tuning your car.

I'll say it once again..Lonnie is the man.
(Sorry for the beating a dead horse)
It's not even a chip, the computer itself was reflashed. Pete from Fordchip was the one who flashed my EEC. They were not at all helpful when I complained that the chip was not working and basically wanted me to get a dyno done, then send the EEC back to them with the dyno info so they could REFLASH and charge me... again with no guarantees. I'm done with them.

Lonnie, I am going to try and double check some things with the engine and if the car still won't cooperate I will be contacting you.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
to my understanding...that "flash" is the same thing as a tune that the Xcal2 will do......... So you can hopefully re-write the tune on your EEC, get the crap off that they put on, and hopefully Lonnie will have a regular Stock tune for you that he could include...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It doesn't matter if it's a reflashed EEC, chip or programmer they are all the same programming. Any chip or reflash from an XCal 2 will reprogram it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts