TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im almost certain im going to need new u-joints. It clunks when being put into gear, drive or reverse, and also clunks when putting load on the driveshaft. Like I'll be driving down the road and coast for a sec. and when I give it throttle again it clunks pretty hard, and gets progressively worse with higher rpms. So I'm wondering if there is a certain brand that most people use, and do they come in kits, with all the clips and bearings and what not ?? I found another thread that had the procedure to change them from the 95 owners manual. Im pretty sure it should be the same for my 96. Thanks for the help!

·
8,239 Posts
I would say that you mine as well just order a one piece shaft from a place lke denny's driveshafts, it comes with new spicer joints on it and they highspeed balance it.

Only a couple hundred bucks for one of their shafts, they are all one piece and they are all high speed balanced.

putting new joints on a stock 2 piece shaft is kind of a waste of money because down the road you will need to replace the shaft anyway if you go to a steeper gear.

google for their url.

JH

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
JustinH said:
I would say that you mine as well just order a one piece shaft from a place lke denny's driveshafts, it comes with new spicer joints on it and they highspeed balance it.

Only a couple hundred bucks for one of their shafts, they are all one piece and they are all high speed balanced.

putting new joints on a stock 2 piece shaft is kind of a waste of money because down the road you will need to replace the shaft anyway if you go to a steeper gear.

google for their url.

JH
Depends on what the purpose of your car is. If it is a daily driver, putting new Dana/Spicer joints on it should be fine. Spending hundreds of dollars on a driveshaft can be overkill.
However, like JustinH said, if you want to put steeper gears in later, you will find that a high speed balanced one piece driveshaft is a must.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright so dana/spicer is good. right now its stock so i wont need a one piece for a little while, but as soon as i get a steeper gear itll be a must.

·
8,239 Posts
well if you are doing the work yourself then it will be cheaper to just get joints and install them.

If you are paying someone to do it, then realize that a steel one piece shaft is like 300 bucks out the door from dennys.

By the time you pay a shop to remove a shaft, install new joints, and rebalance the shaft you will already be close to the figure above.
JH

·
Registered
437 Posts
Grease Zerk

You can get a U-Joint with an X that has a grease zerk. That way you can grease the U-Joint bearings, w/o pulling the drive shaft. You can even get them custom with different bearing sizes, on the same X. I've seen them in some gear-head parts catalog. Jegs, Summit, or PAW, can't remember.

Just something to think about!!!!

68COUGAR
_________

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
JustinH said:
well if you are doing the work yourself then it will be cheaper to just get joints and install them.

If you are paying someone to do it, then realize that a steel one piece shaft is like 300 bucks out the door from dennys.

By the time you pay a shop to remove a shaft, install new joints, and rebalance the shaft you will already be close to the figure above.
JH
It would be a serious waste of money to have a crimped together shaft balanced after installing u-joints. Just mark the parts and put them on exactly as they came off.
Alan

·
Registered
680 Posts
JustinH said:

google for their url.

JH
Is that similar to the MMC from dynotech?
or just a regular steel?

seems like a good price. Gotta do something for these 4.30's.

Thanks,

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts