TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is a newb question but my dad was an engine mechanic and he doesnt know what the balance shaft is on this motor. i need new bearings all around and i cant figure out what the balance shaft is

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You mean the harmonic balancer?

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it just says balance shaft bearing, then balance shaft sprocket??? what is it

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
the balance shaft goes right above the cam, in the lifter valley. It was mostly used on FWD 3.8's but also in some of the old carbed 3.8's and in the 97-current 4.2 trucks. It's just something that helps reduce vibration from the motor and widens the factory rotating assembly balancing tolerances. The 89-97 MN12 never came with one. Our engines have a freeze plug in place of the balance shaft hole.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohh ok so thats what the plug is for thanks thomas

and also im getting ready to pick up an 89 sc that im taking the motor and tranny out of and putting into my 96 lx what do you think im getting myself into

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
youre getting yourself into a lot lol. The motor is run off of a different computer so you'll need the computer as well, and the transmission is different from your 96's, it's not electronically controlled. And it's length is also different so you'll need the driveshaft and transmission mount as well. I really think that would be a step in the wrong direction. I would try to keep the 4r70w tranny your car came with and try and look for a 94-95 SC computer or possibly the entire drivetrain for the swap.
-Thomas

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i found a complete parts car that i can take everything out of
so i will have everything i need for the swap

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ohh yea its a 5spd tranny in the sc

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
then you'll need the computer, all engine wiring, tranny mount, and driveshaft as well.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea ill have it all

·
Registered
38 Posts
I sincerely wish you luck, it is a huge project to take on. I'm not saying I doubt your ability, but I do know it is a lot of work to do a complete swap such as the one you speak of. It is surely possible, but there is a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will be sure to tell you everything and maybe even start a log on here about it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts