TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the problem. About a month ago I started noticing what sounded like a helicopter under my hood. Looked underneath and saw the balancer pulley wobbling. Pulled the belt off and found the bolts were loose. While tightening them up I thought one was missing but one actually broke off at the head. So I tightened the remaining 3 to get me by until I had more time. Well the bolts came loose again (not as bad though, but enough to notice). I went ahead and removed the pulley. Now here is my question.... two of the three bolts broke off at the other end (inside the balancer). They look a quarter of an inch shorter than the one good bolt. Do I need to remove those two pieces and if so what is the easiest way to do it? Thanks in advance.......

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
i would go to a j/y and get another balancer/pulley. yours probably is bent or warped anyways after being on and wobbling.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i think that is the best thing to do to

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, I will do that. I think I know where a wrecked bird is.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I wouldn't recommend putting a used, stock balancer on there.
There is a lot of differences between the snouts of cranks over the years. Just take a micrometer and check for yourself.
Alot of people have also had problems with stock balancer taking out the crank sensor/crank pulley when they've failed. I think I've read on SCCoA about it taking out the crank as well.

Granted, what I'm talking about is a major problem on SC's. But why take a chance?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
That typically isn't an issue with the 3.8L NA, as it doesn't see the load of the supercharger that the 3.8L SC does.

-Rod

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I wouldn't recommend putting a used, stock balancer on there.
There is a lot of differences between the snouts of cranks over the years. Just take a micrometer and check for yourself.
Alot of people have also had problems with stock balancer taking out the crank sensor/crank pulley when they've failed. I think I've read on SCCoA about it taking out the crank as well.

Granted, what I'm talking about is a major problem on SC's. But why take a chance?
i'm running a '94 balancer/pulley on my '96 motor w/ no problems

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah, as I said it's a major problem on the SC's, and I wasn't sure about the N/A motors. Just figured I'd give a heads up anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts