TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble keeping my car going straight on the highway, it has a 140k on it. I inspected my control arm ball joint boots yesterday and the boots are ripped on both sides. I plan on replacing the upper and lower control arms next week. Within the next few months I also need to replace the springs and shocks. If I change the control arms now and go to take it apart again in a few months can I seperate the ball joint without damaging the boots or will I need to replace the control arms again when I do shocks and springs? I would love to replace everything at once but I can't afford to @ this time, and I don't want to risk a ball joint failure by not replacing it now.
Thanks
-Ben

·
Registered
861 Posts
you don't have to do anything w/ the lower control arms when replacing springs and shocks. you just need to disconnect 1 endlink and seperate the upper control arm and spindle and you can pull the spring/shock combo out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with Rich, he replaced both my uppers and lowers. Once again, thank you Rich for helping me out while I was in Lawton. I'm back in ATL now where it is in the 70's! Screw that Ft. Sill weather.

·
Registered
298 Posts
For the top: take the pinch bolt and pry the pinch apart with a prybar while you tap upwards on the arm with a plastic mallot. It will come out without ripping the boot unlike a pickle fork.

For the bottom: use a "Tie rod seperator" tool available at any autoparts store. You slip it over the stud and turn it with a wrench and it will pop it out of the spindle without damaging the boot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts