TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have the ball joints(upper and lower) and basically all the bushings in my front end replaced. I am having a friend do the work. Instead of buying bushings for the upper and lower control arms, and buying the ball joints(I hear they are a ***** to get in), should I just buy a new set of upper and lower control arms(as I understand it, they will come wth bushings and ball joints).

Thanks
Garrett

·
Registered
366 Posts
Where would you buy upper and lower control arms?

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
should I just buy a new set of upper and lower control arms?
Yes, find a local place that carries Moog/TRW stuff or get them online.

MOOG #'s
K80053 lower; LH
K80055 lower; RH

TRW #'s
LH 10759
RH 10760

The only drawback with the "Complete" arm is you do not get the upgraded Ball joint with the zerk fitting but you do get new bushings and it saves on the pressing fees.

MOOG #'s
K8596 upper; LH
K8598 upper; RH

TRW #'s
10763 Upper; LH
10764 Upper; RH

MOOG

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm..those look expensive.

If I had money to invest, I would, but I think I need to get whatever comes cheapest.(only plan to have car another 30-40k miles, 100k on it now)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie,

What's the going price on those MOOG parts? Just wondering in case I find them local.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Haha

Posted at the same time.
Rob

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Just in case you have further doubts....

The "unpainted" version:

PN's:

I paid around $45 for the lowers on-line.

The uppers are $54 for the right and $60 for the left also on-line.

In case you're wondering, yes the ball joints can be purchased seperately for the lower (not upper), they are the ones Scott pictured with the zerk fitting, and they are about $40 apiece on-line. The bushings for the lower arm can also be had seperately. There are 2 in each arm @ about $15 per also on-line.

So to replace the ball joints and bushings in both LCA's will cost $140 in parts, and you still need to have them pressed in. New LCA's with all new ball joints and bushings will cost under $90 for both...

-mike

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once I get some free time this weekend, I will ask prices at hires and autozone. If I cant get similar prices there, I will look around online.

Thanks all for your help.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay..question on that rock auto site. Some of their descriptions are very poorly worded.

I am under Mercury, 1995, Couguar xr7, 3.8l v6, suspension, control arm and ball joint assembly

The first entry looks like its just a lower control arm ball joint, or is it the arm also.

Then, the next two are upper control arms and ball joints, left and right, but they do not include bushings, is that correct?

Also, talking about struts now, I have the auto adjust suspension, is that the same thing as electronic adjust?

Thanks
Garrett

·
Registered
418 Posts
VERY helpful...thank you Dr!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
that settles it, Screw even trying to take to bolts off the front shocks. I'm just going to order new lower control arms and leave the stock shocks/springs mounted to the old arms. At 94,000 I probibly need new lowers anyhow, I replaced the uppers last year.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
He's right there is no lower control arm listed for his car. There's the ball joint itself but not the whole assembly.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
If you go to the site that Dr. FrankenCougie lists, Moog, you can find them there. TRW Part # 10759 and 10760.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts