TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.barsproducts.com/1050.htm
Any tried this before? I just bought a bottle, but am close to getting an oil change so I'm waiting until afterwards. It's supposed to condition the seal by causing the old worn dried seals to swell back up and seal things again. They say it takes 100 miles to stop leaks completely. Then they suggest to replace every other oil change. I'm just nervous because they always say additives are bad, but are additives worse than leaking oil everywhere?

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
I would think it's fine to add; those "high mileage" motor oils you see are basically normal oils but with an additive that softens seals - just like what you bought does.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Bars Leaks is a good (and old) name, they want to keep it, their products aren't dangerous. Any problems usually arrise when people fail to read the directions.

Don't expect miracles, but a seal softener addative, safe enough to try.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got an oil change and went to add this, but the oil level was pretty full. So I only added half the bottle. What would be a problem of the oil level being too high?

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Too much oil can result in several problems, depending on how much extra has been added. If the oil plan is overflowing, it might start to leak at the seals. Two, it may increase pressures and cause greater buildup of vapors. Three, if the level is high enough, the crankshaft will start to strike it which will cause it to foam up - in turn causing lack of lubrication throughout the engine.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's about 1/2 a qt of extra fluid, should I drain this? I have to take it back to the shop in the next few days because they rotated the tires and want to re-torque them to make sure they're on tight. I can ask them to do this.

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
I don't think an extra half quart is going to do too much harm, so you could proabably get away with leaving it as it is - just don't add anything more. It would, however, be quite preferable to drain the excess.

·
Registered
175 Posts
high oil level does NOT cause high oil pressure. it will not cause any other leaks. The pump does NOT care how much oil is in the engine. (unless you are seriously over full, above the oil pan rail gaskets..)

the ONLY real problem is over filling can cause the crank to whip the oil into a foam (aeration), and as anyone should know, air doesn't lubricate.. So you tend to end up with spun bearings.

a half quart isn't a big issue generally. didn't ya say it's leaking anyways? lol:D

and beyond that, there aren't any seals in the engine that hold back direct oil pressure anyways. (at least to the outside of the engine)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
http://www.barsproducts.com/1050.htm
Any tried this before? I just bought a bottle, but am close to getting an oil change so I'm waiting until afterwards. It's supposed to condition the seal by causing the old worn dried seals to swell back up and seal things again. They say it takes 100 miles to stop leaks completely. Then they suggest to replace every other oil change. I'm just nervous because they always say additives are bad, but are additives worse than leaking oil everywhere?

Its a temporary fix as the seal will swell and start cutting into the crank from my experiences. Then you will be leaking again maybe a couple years later and the crank will either need to be replaced or sleeved or typically just allowed to leak.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Going to try this bar's leaks on my 4.6. My engine has been slowly leaking since I got it and long before that, I'm sure. I am pretty disappointed in how my trans leaks after it was replaced, its really a slow drip but still another fluid dripping. I will look forward to the day when its not dripping anything with a new engine but until then this will have to do.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
Its a temporary fix as the seal will swell and start cutting into the crank from my experiences. Then you will be leaking again maybe a couple years later and the crank will either need to be replaced or sleeved or typically just allowed to leak.
I agree with Nick; that fix can be expensive in the long run.

Transmission fluid is as good of a seal sweller as it gets; cheap, too. :) Not that I would go that route, unless the crank is already grooved.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
In the 3 1/2 years I've owned my 1995, it has ALWAYS started smoother/quieter and idled better with 1/2 quart extra oil in the crankcase, never hurt anything (no seal blowout, leakage, oil foaming, whatever). Maybe the crank is touching the oil when it's not running, maybe it has increased pressure when it's running, maybe it runs slightly hotter or cooler - we could all speculate all day.

Whatever the reason, it has proven to be a better running vehicle 1/2 a quart over and I try to keep it there. Take it for what it's worth...

·
3,868 Posts
I can't complain about the engine it runs strong, its obviously not high performance being stock but still its very good I just think from the factory its a leaking mess in the making, the motorcraft dino oil and older mercon are not superior products to begin with. I have plans to drop in a new engine so this one can take a bottle of bar's leaks, I won't need it eventually.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Do it right and pull the engine and replace the seals.

Most of our engines require slightly more than 5qts anyway so most of us are actually under filling.

·
3,868 Posts
So...about how much would a reputable mechanic charge to replace the rear seal?
A lot more than a bottle of bar's leaks.

I wouldn't even bother with trying to replace seals on this engine, it runs great don't get me wrong but I am just being very picky with it leaking. Its slowly gotten worse over the 3.5 years I've had it. Its just gotta make it another couple years and its getting replaced, its only on 120k LOL its just getting broken in and will def be resold one day. Also I have heard it runs better half a quart low soooooo....I jsut try to keep it on the full marker and it slowly goes down over time I might add once before an oil change.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts