TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what to say to this. Alright my car is in the classic 80k miles maintenence time. But I believe this problem has to do with my alternator. Alright here goes...

Ok, so, today I got back to my car after it wasnt driven at all for about 40 hours. And I accidently forgot to turn off the radar detector. But the car started fine, I didnt think anything of it. I drove to a drive through and then I got back just fine. I go to drop my buddy off, I turn the key and i could here the starter going into place but i got no crank. The battery is brand new got it less than 2 weeks ago. I think that After 20k miles I may have pushed my alternator too much with the Amp for my system. Im not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need the car to be running good by friday, but i dont want to go out and by an alternator if that isnt the problem.

Thanks Guys
Andrew Z

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
First thing to try, since you just replaced the batter, is clean the terminals real good and make sure they are tight when you re-install them. They can appear to be tight, but if they are corroded enough, you still won't have good contact. If that is the case, get some new terminals.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check the voltage of your battery with a voltmeter - should be about 12 volts. While running it should be approx. 14 volts if your alternator is charging.

·
leet sauce
1,841 Posts
yeah definatly id check ternimals on the battery first as well
i had my car not starting cuz negative got some crap all over it
my mechanic laughed at me, poured hot water on negative and car started no problem.
Also i'd try to jump start it and drive it for a little bit so that alternator charges battery and then turn it off and see if it will turn back on right away or not as well.
and if you do have a stereo then make sure you get a capacitor. my friend went through 3 alternators in his mustang cuz he didnt have a cap :S

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Could be your starter just took a dump. Check the battery voltage like has been sugested.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Check all of the above, but it may be just a case of too much amp and not enough alternator. Most factory jobs only produce 14-20 amps at idle. Your short jaunts at low speed may just be sucking down the battery. Even a new battery won't last long on short trips with a steady drain on it from a large amp, an electric cooling fan, and the A/C going full tilt.

If you do start looking for another alternator... they are not all created equal. Be more concerned with what the alternator delivers at low rpms. My '93 stock alternator put out an honest 95 amps @ 2200 rpm... just like it was supposed to. It put out 14 amps at idle in gear... just like it was supposed to. I replaced it with one that puts out 140+ amps @ 2200 rpm, but that's not why I bought it. It'll deliver 91 amps at idle (700 rpm in gear).

Casper has posted a thread with a lot of good alternator info... good reading.

Best of Luck!
That is all...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, i checked the terminals and sure enough they were corroded so i replaced them. thanks for all the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts