TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my battery today and when I went to reconnect the positive cable it wouldn't go on tight because the bolt was warped. they are two sets of wires that run to the connector. (actually a lot of little copper wires that form one big one for the both of them) they are like I guess two copper wires that come together as one. Well my brother cut through the copper part so we could replace the connector. Well anyways it seperated the two copper wires and now there are two copper wires.. so I went to autozone got a little universal connector and trying to splice the two wires back together but my car won't start now.. can anyone help me with this?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
do you have any power?
Do any of the lights come on?
Are you sure both wires are getting a good connection?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the interior lights come on.. the negative is getting a good connection it seems like but I'm not sure about the positive since the two wires did get seperated. I can jump start it and it'll run but I'm not really sure about any of it

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
yes positive... red, power, whatever you know it as...

The reason I ask is that it is possible that the power line going to the solonoid is not getting a good connection. That is why you get interior lights and all..

When you turn on the key to the run position, do you hear the fuel pump kick in?
when you tried to start it, did it do anything? (click, turn slowley like a dead battery)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I turn the key it makes a lot of clicks.. once when I turned the key it seemed like the air came on in one vent even though it wasn't on which I thought was strange.. other than that it wont turn over or anything

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Do you have a volt meter / multimeter? Reason I ask is that your battery might be low on power... Test the voltage... If it is lower than 12v not running, you might need to charge it... Better would be a battery load tester, but most people don't have one at their house...

Also, make sure your battery connectors are tight and clean... the slightest amount of corrosion can cause power loss...

Do you have another battery you can put in it's place to test with?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can probably use my mom's battery.. thanks for all the help.. it's night time so I'll go try and mess with it in the morning.. there was a lot of corrosion of it so that might have been it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it was kinda wierd.. I went outside this morning and started my car and it started after turning over like once but when I got to school and turned it off it wouldn't start again.. any advice?

·
The Parts Guy
7,310 Posts
Really sounds like a bad connection at the battery. Make sure the battery terminals and cable ends are clean (as in, remove the cables from the battery terminals and clean them with a battery terminal brush) then reinstall the cables and tighten them.

-Rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts