TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason (good reason) to not run the battery cable from the battery down along the tranny cooler lines to the starter? Of course i would be making provision for the short line to the junction box to have enough length. I would also use the metal mounts and plastic cover to mount the cable to the frame in some manner so it is not hanging just on the cooler lines.

The current location that follows along the front of the frame along with the power steering lines, gets soaked oil all over the battery line and plastic cover when I change the oil filter. This would eliminate this as well free up some room for the power steering lines under the oil filter to be moved out of the way for cleaning, etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt,

I ran the cables down the battery bay along the tranny cooler lines with a couple mounts to the support bar up front. I cleaned up the battery cables and terminal connectors as well as painted clear coat over the connectors (covered the terminal holes of course) and painted the blackened positive battery connector red to take away the ugly burnt look. Hooked it all up and it started first time. Mind you it would no longer start before I started all of this.

During tearing down the battery system, I think I may have found the problem that was killing my battery and it not starting each time, every time. I had fog lights and a sub in the trunk hooked to the terminal box where the battery connects to the starter. I left both of those disconnected this time to see if that was the issue. Other than that, I am at a loss for why the car was acting this way. I switched batteries again before I started all of this and the battery from the town car would not even start the Cougar. I even tried bumping it from the Town car and it would not start. Go figure... I take the battery lines apart, clean them up, inspect them and put the back in and it starts first time (without the accessories).

Both batteries are about 5-6 years old and may be just on the threshold of going bad, but good enough to start a car in warm weather. I may need new batteries this winter though.

I will take it for several honey do's today and see if it starts every time.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car is still starting each time I turn it over. I hooked up the amp which is directly hooked to the battery at the junction box. I will try it this way for a bit. I think the issue was the relays for the fog lights.

Is there anyway to add the OEM fog light relay into the Cougar and use it instead of the relays that came with the fog lights?

·
Super Moderator
5,130 Posts
I'm sure there is, White Lincoln. In the EVTM, see section 86 for the factory wiring.

RwP

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you,
I found all of the wiring diags in the EVTM and service manual, but what is lacking are the part numbers, or at least the full part number.

I found the lamps and mounts, but not the relay or the switch.

I think I will bag this for now. My junction box was not wired for fog lamps and wiring them might be a PITA.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts