TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Awareness of one's surroundings might have helped save both persons in this situation...
The July 15th entry into this blog:
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/
People always ask me why I own firearms and train myself in the use of those firearms for defense-this is why.
This is becoming more and more commonplace in today's world,and it's not isolated to the large metro areas anymore.
Warning-the video confession the blog's page is full of profanity-be careful at work or around little people.
JL

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i just picked up my Ruger LCP last week. Its carried in a concealed Galco everywhere i go except those establishments in which it is strictly prohibited.

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just picked up my Ruger LCP last week. Its carried in a concealed Galco everywhere i go except those establishments in which it is strictly prohibited.
I think my wife and I are both gonna get one of those-I like them much better than the Kel-tec's that they resemble.
JL

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I think my wife and I are both gonna get one of those-I like them much better than the Kel-tec's that they resemble.
JL
I pack Speer Gold Dot 90gr rounds. Apparently, the mag lip extension for the kel tec mags fits the ruger mags, Ill found out when it shows up soon. I have a Desantis SuperFly pocket holster and a Galco Stow N' Go that I usually carry it in.

Also, Crimson Trace's new laser is coming out for it soon.

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pack Speer Gold Dot 90gr rounds. Apparently, the mag lip extension for the kel tec mags fits the ruger mags, Ill found out when it shows up soon. I have a Desantis SuperFly pocket holster and a Galco Stow N' Go that I usually carry it in.

Also, Crimson Trace's new laser is coming out for it soon.
I looked over that CT laser,and it takes away grip area from the front of the gun-and there's a limited amount of space now as it is..I'm not willing to give it up for a laser-pocket concealment is the whole point I'm getting it.
There's a load of Ruger info here:
www.rugerforum.net
JL

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I looked over that CT laser,and it takes away grip area from the front of the gun-and there's a limited amount of space now as it is..I'm not willing to give it up for a laser-pocket concealment is the whole point I'm getting it.
There's a load of Ruger info here:
www.rugerforum.net
JL

if i find someone local who gets it in, im going to test fit it, im kinda on the fence about it, though.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I don't mean to make light of what happened, or the sociopath that the criminal appears to be, but I couldn't understand 85% of what he said in that "confession". Every other semi-sentence is "You know what i'm sayin". It was like I was listening to a person who spoke a different language, and the only phrases I was able to understand were the ones that I had heard on TV before.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I don't see how asking for a cigarette is going to have any bearing on what the criminal decides to do...

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I'm down with owning a fire arm to protect yourself, who else do you expect to do it for you? The police? The government? Who? It really should just be you. If someone makes you feel threatened for your life then you'll know how to handle it when properly trained with your fire arm. I don't own one yet but I will when I can afford it, they aren't cheap.

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see how asking for a cigarette is going to have any bearing on what the criminal decides to do...
Matt,it's no the cig that's the issue,or if somebody wants a cig...that situation was no good when the thugs got close enough for a conversation.The victims in that situation should have been more observant and prepared to defend themselves.
The point here,is to arm yourself-prepare to use it if necessary,and know how to see a threat before it becomes a physical threat,and to key in on the thug's and their "baiting" tactics. You have to make yourself a non-desirable target for the thugs,or you are more likely to become a statistic.
JL

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't own one yet but I will when I can afford it, they aren't cheap.
There are affordable handguns out there that are reliable-you live close to one of the premier makers of such guns-Ruger's semi-auto handgun division is in Prescott,AZ.
If you're looking for a deal or info on a particular one-let me know-I've got tons of literature here on several makes and models.
JL

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
There are affordable handguns out there that are reliable-you live close to one of the premier makers of such guns-Ruger's semi-auto handgun division is in Prescott,AZ.
If you're looking for a deal or info on a particular one-let me know-I've got tons of literature here on several makes and models.
JL
hehe don't tempt me. I've shot m16s many times and I know it takes a little while to know how to properly use, clean, and store a hand gun. I'm a decent shot with a rifle, I'm sure I'm terrible with a hand gun. I will take you up on that when I have the cash flow and the consent of my house mates. I'm currently waiting for hernia surgery so, one thing at a time. I'm all for it really. I think its fun to go to a range and see how accurate I am. I've only done that with rifles though. Don't forget the holster, cleaning tools, ammo, magazine when considering cost. Awesome idea though, I didn't know a maker of hand guns was in AZ. I'd like to work for them, awesome trade skills to be had learning about fire arms. There is always a market for that.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Trash like that needs to be taken out back and beaten, tortured, and hung.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
hehe don't tempt me. I've shot m16s many times and I know it takes a little while to know how to properly use, clean, and store a hand gun. I'm a decent shot with a rifle, I'm sure I'm terrible with a hand gun. I will take you up on that when I have the cash flow and the consent of my house mates. I'm currently waiting for hernia surgery so, one thing at a time. I'm all for it really. I think its fun to go to a range and see how accurate I am. I've only done that with rifles though. Don't forget the holster, cleaning tools, ammo, magazine when considering cost. Awesome idea though, I didn't know a maker of hand guns was in AZ. I'd like to work for them, awesome trade skills to be had learning about fire arms. There is always a market for that.
ok. Rugers new LCP made in Prescott:

Firearm: $319
Speer 90gr HP: $20
Galco stow n go: $30
Cleaning kit: $12

Those prices are for a subcompact. My Springfield 1911 cost me $790, loaded AR-15 $1200, not including accessories. Just walk into a gun shop and take a look around. a CCW permit in florida costs 35$ for prints, 75$ for the application, and 50$ for the class.From that, I do not have to wait on a purchase, just fill out the background check, have the dealer call in my permit number, pay, and go.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
After watching the long haired dude, it makes me want to return the favor to him, and I think that is the only circumstance in life in which I would be able to do such a horrible act....Stop wasting time on trials and money on lawyers and peoples time, and don't use any taxes payers money to keep that rat warm or nourish his body....Since he admitted to the crime, I say do things his way....."Bust a cap in his dome"

Matt,it's no the cig that's the issue,or if somebody wants a cig...that situation was no good when the thugs got close enough for a conversation.The victims in that situation should have been more observant and prepared to defend themselves.
The point here,is to arm yourself-prepare to use it if necessary,and know how to see a threat before it becomes a physical threat,and to key in on the thug's and their "baiting" tactics. You have to make yourself a non-desirable target for the thugs,or you are more likely to become a statistic.
JL
I can agree to not making yourself a target, My own personal beliefs is you have to adapt and try to fit in to the environment...I live near Youngstown Ohio which 3 years in a row from like 2001-2004 or sometimg around there it was murder capital of the country for a city its size. I spend much time there for work and recreation, school.....you definatley have to be on the lookout.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Gun in the house.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

As John Steinbeck once said:

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
JL (or others),

Can you explain here for us (read: me) how someone would go about finding an inexpensive but efficient handgun (types of places to shop, what to look for, etc.)

and...

then the right way to go about learning how to use it properly (again, types of places/ranges to go: types of people to learn from)?

thx

1 - 20 of 62 Posts