TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what the difference in the 01 cobra main bearings and a 94's? if there is a difference, what is the reason for it, and is it really needed or could you use the 94's bearings?

·
Registered
491 Posts
a 94 cobra had a pushrod motor...if that helps. j/k.:tongue:

All the Romeo blocks, including the cobra aluminum blocks use the same first four forward main bearing shells but the last one is different as the thrust bearing is three pieces. A top and bottom half circle like normal but the thrust bearing surface is just a half piece that sits against the face of the block and isn't attached to the other parts of the final bearing. The Windsor thrust bearing is different in that it (I believe) is two pieces, with the thrust bearing surface attached to one of the bearing halves. They are NOT interchangeable from what I have read and seen, and you must use a Romeo set in a Romeo block, etc., so on. If you wish to reuse the main bearings in your 94 for an 01 cobra block, DON'T! It is wise and a cheap investment to replace such wear items like piston rings and bearings every time a motor is overhauled. Don't cheap out and have to redo it later. On the specific bearings between the two models of engines in the cobra and your thunderbird, I don't know that there is any difference between them. Perhaps someone with direct knowledge of that will chime in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts