TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 95 tbird w/ the 4.6. So far I have a k&n airfilter and a catback flowmaster force II exhaust system. I plan on getting a fordchip next but what do you guys think? My main goal is to beat V6 stangs and camaros. More or so stangs. Your input would be a lot of help. Thnx.

P.S. I blew my original engine. Connecting Rod went out. I guess I drove it too hard (hehe). I now have a 4.6 out of the same year but only like 40 tho miles.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You *should* be able to beat V-6 'Stangs and Camaros in stock trim, I have a K&N and True duals set-up and I can walk v-6 Stangs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you're not beating V6 Mustangs or Camaros with your stock V8 either there is something wrong with your car or you're not driving it right. Just my opinion.
GUN

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, ive never raced one but ppl say that because of the weight difference they win. I wasnt sure. But, since i have the catback system w/ the air filter, what do you think i would be runnin in the 1/4? I mean stock its like 16.7 they say but i gotta thnk its under that. I would like to think its just under 16 cuz i raced an integra who claims runs low 16's and beat it pretty bad.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
JLBiRd0024 said:
I would like to think its just under 16 cuz i raced an integra who claims runs low 16's and beat it pretty bad.
claims are claims. Timeslips are the truth. If it's a GS-R or a Type R, with a driver that KNOWS how to drive a car like that (read: drive like you hate its guts, rev it till it blows) it'd be a little more interesting.

·
Registered
477 Posts
66dvlbrd68 said:

claims are claims. Timeslips are the truth. If it's a GS-R or a Type R, with a driver that KNOWS how to drive a car like that (read: drive like you hate its guts, rev it till it blows) it'd be a little more interesting.
Totally agree w/the driving quote.

SN95 V6's are smokable, the newer one's we can handle but MUCH closer, and just about every stock V6 Camaro out there can hang (depending on drivers of both cars). I would do the tranny mods before doing anything else. A filter and cat-back are decent for now--you should be definately beating every stock V6 Stang and
F-body by now.

Pat

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your runnin 15.7 w/ just a removed air silencer and a tranny cooler? That seems odd because 95's run low 16's stock. And u really didnt do a lot for performance. Wouldnt mine run faster?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
JLBiRd0024 said:
Your runnin 15.7 w/ just a removed air silencer and a tranny cooler? That seems odd because 95's run low 16's stock. And u really didnt do a lot for performance. Wouldnt mine run faster?
Not necessarily ... my friend has a completely stock '95, not even a K&N. He runs 15.83 his first time. Some run better than what is expected and some run worse, not everyone will do a low 16. Cars will run in a range of +- a certain time depending on track conditions, atmosphere, driver, and etc.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The old single ports will not be much for you unless they are heavily modified. Do not think the same for the 99+ split port. They are faster stock than the Bird. There are a few guys at 3.8 Mustang running 14's with bolt ons.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Flex, there are a few guys that have their Birds runnin 14's with bolt-on's. I get your point though.

And whoever has a question about my time, remember, it was G-Teched, so it could be a little off. It would be nice if it decided to be accurate that day, though. And because it's not COMPLETELY stock (no, no, not the silencer removal, the tires and brakes), I can get some REAL good bite on a launch. The thing doesn't more, and I can powerbrake it to about 2k without it budging (probably more, but I didn't push it). And when I release the brake, I get just the right amount of tirespin--a slight "chirp". But who does that at every stoplight anyways? Oh, and I nailed my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts perfectly (manually shifting). Yes, I did have to shift into 3rd, which I had to use for about 5-6 mph. Odd, but not bullsh!t. The track is the true testament, however.

Pat

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
One recipe for beating 96-98 GT's is in the link in my sig :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Pat,
Sorry, I did not mean that to come across as you couldn't get into 14's or better. I meant if the 4.6 Bird was relatively stock, even though it is an V8, the later V6 Mustang is a threat. We have a lot more weight (about 500 lbs) that obviously works to eat away at the superior tq and hp.

There are several people on a few boards that run the PI Stallion torque converter and claim to have knocked .3-.6 secs of the quarter. Anyone here have that experience with a T-Bird?

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
The Mark VIII TC that people swap into Tbird's is supposely good for .2 in the 1/4, so a better TC might yield a .3 improvement in the 1/4 for a Tbird.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I feel really bad that I can't remember who did it (was it Johnny L.?), but someone knocked about .4 off with a Mark converter swap.

Pat

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Flex said:
TGJ,
I thought that TC was 2200 stall speed. The Stallion is 2800+. Do you know how big the Mark converter is? 10"?
11.25",and it specs to stall in a range betwen 2324rpm and 2737 rpm.
Mine stalled at almost exactly 2400 rpm at continuous applied torqe,and would flash to just over 2500 on launch.
JL

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
My car ran a 15.91 bone stock with the paper filter, violin case, and the air silencer, so I wouldn't put a guarantee on 95's running 16.7's stock.

·
Registered
238 Posts
mine ran 16.1 stock. 15.9 with a chip, no info since exhaust 180 t stat. converter is next if I can come up with a reason to dissassemble the tranny.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts