1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just as some info on the free pets "What's the catch"section...

Some of those free animals aren't vaccinated or already spayed/neutered. Almost all adoption organizations include these things in their fees. If you end up paying for these procedures yourself it'll likely cost you more than an adoption fee since the animal rescue groups usually get a discount from the vets that won't apply to you.

Another "freebie" as it pertains to pets - Be a foster home for a local animal rescue group. Yes, you have to pay to feed them but the group will generally take care of their medical needs and you don't have to commit to keeping the animals forever if you can't or don't want to. All you have to do is love on them (they need good human interaction to be adoptable) and clean up after them. ;) If you don't know how to find these groups in your area go to petfinder.com and search for an adoptable pet in your zip code. I'd wager any of the groups that pop up can use your help.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Good post doodaa. We have several pooches that need foster homes right now. We almost always do. And we can ALWAYS use donations.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
... And we can ALWAYS use donations.
Yeah, to be honest I've used that as a form of "entertainment" over the years. When I'd get the idea I wanted a pet but it really wasn't practical for whatever reason I'd go to the local shelter and play with the puppies and kittens for the morning and leave $20 or a big bag of food to assauge my guilt for not taking one home. Kind of like going to church and hearing a sermon and feeling like you should put something in the offering plate.

I always knew there was a huge problem in this country with unwanted animals but never really comprehended the scope until I discovered fostering. There are just so many of them...... Though I wouldn't ever say not to take an animal from someone on craiglist I would invoke a modified Bob Barker tagline - Please spay and neuter your pets, no matter where you get them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts