TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put some tires on great odin's raven (that's what my buddies and I call her now). Firehawk Indy 500, 255 70 on back and 235 70 on front stock fans. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paint is your friend

Paint is the last thing on the list of things that need to be done. And it is a huge list. When I bought the car back from the last person I sold her to there was some bad hail damage on the roof and body panels. Sanded down the entire body, did all the metal work, body filler in the really tough spots, sealed, and primered. Body and paint are 2 things I have always been good at but what's the point in spending a whole weekend painting and baking the car to risk that paint job while fixing everything else.

No comment on the tires?:D

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Tire dont look bad. I probably wouldve went with some shorter sidewalls though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good pic. Gives me some ideas for my "classic cool" approach that i think I'm going take my MN12

·
Super Moderator
9,318 Posts
Tire dont look bad. I probably wouldve went with some shorter sidewalls though.
^^^ x2

Having tires oversized will throw off your speedo (it will read 8% too slow) and reduce the torque factor by the same percentage. In your case, it'd have roughly the same effect as installing 3.08s in the rear, or effectively removing about 25 ft-lbs of torque from your engine.

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
^^^ x2

Having tires oversized will throw off your speedo (it will read 8% too slow) and reduce the torque factor by the same percentage. In your case, it'd have roughly the same effect as installing 3.08s in the rear, or effectively removing about 25 ft-lbs of torque from your engine.
More like 2.73s since most 95s had 3.08s stock.

No likey the paint n' tires personally. Makes the wheels look even smaller

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not bad looks ok. I can see your reasoning with the paint while fixing her up part.
If your interested I have a full set of center caps for the wheels that still have the bird on them.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Can you say goodbye to the handling you had.

That much sidewall will plow in the curves really bad.

Be careful with those tires!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believe me I know these tires are not for everyone. I love, owned, and worked on classic cars since I was old enough to hold a flashlight for my dad working on his 69 mustang. These tires remind me of the bubbled tires on classic muscle.

My neighbor came over today and said he couldn't help but notice the new rubber on my car. Walked around and asked if I was planning on lowering it any more. Told him yes as soon as I get the time. Gave him a run down of my plans to build this car as if it were an early American grunt machine and he said he can't wait to see it when I'm done...said if he had this car he would do the same thing. That guys opinion means a lot to me...he has built one of the meanest 67 Ford Fairlanes I have ever seen and is now working on a 70 Plain Jane Torino. He reminds me a lot of my dad and I'm glad he liked it.

·
Super Moderator
12,086 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey! Where were you 3 weeks ago? I was just out there...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=135039
Crazy! I wasn't able to make it out. I like to head out to the midnight drags at least a couple times a year but this last year has been way too busy to have too much of a good time. The last time I was at Tulsa Raceway was Throw Down in T-Town last year and it was a blast. The track is great there!

Now I'm sorry I missed it!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like the tires a lot actually, i think if it was me though i probably would have done the size of the front tires on all 4, i love the look of the big wide tires though. I also love where you put the "THUNDERBIRD" at on the trunk!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the tires a lot actually, i think if it was me though i probably would have done the size of the front tires on all 4, i love the look of the big wide tires though. I also love where you put the "THUNDERBIRD" at on the trunk!
Thanks!! I didn't know how I'd feel about it at first but I've grown to love it as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not bad looks ok. I can see your reasoning with the paint while fixing her up part.
If your interested I have a full set of center caps for the wheels that still have the bird on them.
Thanks for the offer but I still have mine in my garage somewhere under all the other car parts of various makes and mods. I kind of like them without the center caps:tongue:

·
Registered
833 Posts
No big deal just figured that I would offer not like I doing anything with the center covers from my old fanblades. I have a bunch of friends that want birds since I got my sc so they might find a home yet.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Can you say goodbye to the handling you had.

That much sidewall will plow in the curves really bad.

Be careful with those tires!!
I have 215/70s and they arent too bad when they are warm from driving for a while. :)

Cold? You have to think about it ahead of time and compensate lol...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts