TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I do guys?
1995 tbird 4.6 2v. Trans is beefed with jmod and cooler. Not interested in gears looking at the engine.
Budget is 3500 and I will be paying for the work.
So I got a nitrous set up quote with safety features etc for 3400. Little steeper than expected.so I'm looking at tf heads too. Question is if I put tf heads on my stock motor will I lose tq at all if I keep the stock cam? Or will both hp and torque rise? I'm looking for a realistic extra 50-75 hp AND OR 40-50 tq. Any thoughts? This money is burning a hole in my pocket!!

·
Super Moderator
7,869 Posts
If you are only looking for 75hp, skip the Trick Flow heads, just do a PI head, cam, and intake swap. Add a good tune, and that will get you the power you are looking for.

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are only looking for 75hp, skip the Trick Flow heads, just do a PI head, cam, and intake swap. Add a good tune, and that will get you the power you are looking for.
Was thinking of that but idk how many shops would be up for putting silicon on the ports to make it fit on my 95 npi block. i know the tf are expensive but it'd be instant gains and make gains in the future yield more right? Also leaving the cam alone for now because I don't want to lose tq for hp just yet. Not until I have a full high revving top end set up

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,555 Posts
There is no silicon(e?)involved on the block, you’re thinking of RTV on the heads for a PI intake only swap, swap the heads there is no silicone RTV involved other than in the places it’s supposed to be applied

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no silicon(e?)involved on the block, you’re thinking of RTV on the heads for a PI intake only swap, swap the heads there is no silicone RTV involved other than in the places it’s supposed to be applied
Oh wow.... I did not know this. Hmmm well that changes things quite a bit! If I went that route what kind of tq would I have? Also what could I expect for cost on parts a labor?

·
Super Moderator
7,869 Posts
Don’t leave the junk 95 NPI cams in there. I promise they are going to cost you horsepower and torque everywhere it would be at all useful.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Super Moderator
13,522 Posts
I recommend Comp 268 cams. I used to run them with the base TF heads and an SVO they're great mid range cams with or without a blower.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you! Can those cams be run in either npi or pi heads? Or only tf heads?
I recommend Comp 268 cams. I used to run them with the base TF heads and an SVO they're great mid range cams with or without a blower.
Reason i ask is because I'm thinking of maybe only doin the cam right now and using the rest of my budget for a paint job!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can’t in 94/5 npi heads due to the spring seats, but PI and 96+ npi I believe you can. Even stock PI cams won’t work in 94/5 heads
****. Hmmm well I guess she will either get paint of performance/: the struggle

Has anyone used this trickflow top end kit? Seriously considering it. With my current budget i have enough to throw on the heads but im thinking of maybe waiting 3 more months so i can do this whole kit. advertises 380 hp at the crank. However if i did just do the trickflow headson my stock npi block anyone know what kind of gains id get?

·
Super Moderator
7,869 Posts
Keep in mind the trick flow heads have a smaller combustion chamber to increase the compression ratio. Bolting those heads to a PI bottom end gives you 10:1 compression. Bolting them onto an NPI bottom end will give you 11:1 compression. Bolting PI heads on the NPI block gives you about 10.5:1. As such, that kit will make a little bit more power on an NPI bottom end than a PI one, but you have to make sure you have enough camshaft overlap to be able to run pump gas, and I would also want to make sure that there won't be any piston to valve interference bolting those heads on the NPI bottom end. Plus keep in mind, there is a lot more you have to upgrade to make 400hp, so if you blow all your budget on the heads, you have nothing left for the upgraded fuel pump, tuning, fluids, gaskets, etc. You can easily have to spend another $1500-2000 there, and if you are still running the stock 95 trans, that is not likely to live long behind that much power, so figure another $3500 to replace that with a built trans and upgraded torque converter. Then you said you are going to be paying a shop to do this work instead of doing it yourself, so plan on another $2000+ to have a shop swap the heads. This is why I said at the outset to go the PI route. You can get a PI top end for under $1000, it is a common setup so you would be fine with a mail-order tune for $400, pay a shop $2000 to swap the heads, and add in misc stuff needed, and you are right in the $3500-4000 range.

·
Super Moderator
13,522 Posts
Keep in mind the trick flow heads have a smaller combustion chamber to increase the compression ratio. Bolting those heads to a PI bottom end gives you 10:1 compression. Bolting them onto an NPI bottom end will give you 11:1 compression. Bolting PI heads on the NPI block gives you about 10.5:1. As such, that kit will make a little bit more power on an NPI bottom end than a PI one, but you have to make sure you have enough camshaft overlap to be able to run pump gas, and I would also want to make sure that there won't be any piston to valve interference bolting those heads on the NPI bottom end. Plus keep in mind, there is a lot more you have to upgrade to make 400hp, so if you blow all your budget on the heads, you have nothing left for the upgraded fuel pump, tuning, fluids, gaskets, etc. You can easily have to spend another $1500-2000 there, and if you are still running the stock 95 trans, that is not likely to live long behind that much power, so figure another $3500 to replace that with a built trans and upgraded torque converter. Then you said you are going to be paying a shop to do this work instead of doing it yourself, so plan on another $2000+ to have a shop swap the heads. This is why I said at the outset to go the PI route. You can get a PI top end for under $1000, it is a common setup so you would be fine with a mail-order tune for $400, pay a shop $2000 to swap the heads, and add in misc stuff needed, and you are right in the $3500-4000 range.
Depends on the heads they come in 38cc and 44cc sizes.

·
Super Moderator
7,869 Posts
Yes, but the ones he linked were the 38cc version.

·
Super Moderator
13,522 Posts
Buy the 44cc heads!

What was included in that $3400 nitrous quote!? You can buy a plate or fogger kit for a lot less and add in a tps window switch combo.
I was wondering the same thing, that sounds overpriced. BTW I’ve NEVER been a fan of nitrous. There’s no better way to quickly trash your engine. Yeah, its relatively cheap and easy HP but it comes at a steep price.

Reactions: 95thunderpigeon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd be going 38cc and am thinking just the head swap for now. Would fix my issue with burning oil anyways too. 2400 for the set of heads assembled and then 1200 for labor so not terrible. And I know right lol. He quoted 600 just for "all the tuning" I was looking for a safe 50 shot set up lol like how much tuning is needed there?! But in either case I'm still thinking head swap over nitrous even if I did get it put in cheaper because 1. Oil burning issue with shitty npi heads 2. More power down the road with other add ons 3. The new valve train is a perk and 4. It will be a permenant power increase and I have a feeling it's cause less trouble down the road I bet. I'd be happy with maybe a 30 hp bump from the heads honestly and any tq gains too. Plus 1200 on labor for the heads doesn't seem too terribly priced. Wish I could throw them in myself but I live at an apartment so no garage, tools or any real "know how" lol

Buy the 44cc heads!

I was wondering the same thing, that sounds overpriced. BTW I’ve NEVER been a fan of nitrous. There’s no better way to quickly trash your engine. Yeah, its relatively cheap and easy HP but it comes at a steep price.
I thought 38cc would be better without a blower? I thought 44 were more for blowers

·
Super Moderator
13,522 Posts
More power down the road = 44cc heads. Believe me you want to keep that compession down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
More power down the road = 44cc heads. Believe me you want to keep that compession down.
Makes sense I suppose. Leaves the option to go that route in the future without stripping the engine down again. Also if I did get 44cc any idea on the gains I'd get?? I ask because I figure if I only do the heads then I should be able to get away with my stock trans, fuel pump etc right?

·
Super Moderator
13,522 Posts
Yes, the heads, cams and intake alone aren’t going to overwhelm the trans and fuel system.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts