TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while guys. I still haven't gotten back into a Thunderbird or Cougar, but I just picked up my new project. I recently acquired a 1949 Ford F-1 that was originally purchased in 1949 by my fiance's Great-Grandfather, and has stayed in the family ever since. Its been passed along from Great-Grandfather, to Great-Uncle, to Grandfather, to Dad, and now to me. The truck is basically as it left the factory in '49, with the exception of turn signals, 12 volt swap, and radials. It served its life as a farm truck, never saw a garage, and has the patina and dents to prove it, but is a remarkable survivor that I drove (drive) regularly before ever having it turned over to me. It still has the flat-8BA and 3 in the floor, but I plan to swap a 5.0 EFI and T5 from a Fox. Pretty cool story for a 62 year old truck. My plans include completely going through the suspension and brakes for safety and personal reasons, lowering it from the stock height its been at for the past 6 decades to around 3" all the way around (or enough to get the tops of the rings flush with the bottoms of the fenders), possibly adding some wide white rubber, re-wiring the truck completely, and taking care of anything mechanically that could hinder a safe and reliable drive. I don't plan on doing anything to the body, just making a MECHANICALLY safe and reliable truck. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

Parts that came with it. Anyone want a supercharger :D

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Looks like you will be having some fun :) What about those parts in the back of the truck? Those look like fun too!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I wouldn't do a 5.0 swap. I'd rock that flathead and swap in the 5 speed to make it more driveable, or heck leave the 3 speed in it. Or a later 4 speed perhaps...but either way sweet truck!!!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Thats cool. I say leave the flathead and fix the body,suspension and brakes. Whats the supercharger for?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I wouldn't lower it, but that's just me. Sits low enough, IMHO. You're off to a good start though. I'd say put a 335 or 385 series V8 in it and roll from there. It's a truck, make it capable of what a truck should be able to do!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
leave the flathead in it!!
cool truck
I was going to say this too, but OP seems adamant about a motor swap. A 335 or 385 series would be more suitable for truck duty than a SBF.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Leave the flathead, 4 or 5 speed, if you lower it the patina wouldn't match up to me, but then again it could also look REALLY good.

Dont ever do ANY body work! It'll be perfect as long as you stick to that rule!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
AHHH, I MISSED YOU GUYS :D Thanks to everyone, and replies are below:

Looks like you will be having some fun :) What about those parts in the back of the truck? Those look like fun too!
Parts in the back include heater controls, a heater that needs rebuilt, new gaskets and seals for the cab, and tidbits for the supercharger including the scoop. Oh, the bias ply came from under the truck, and I am 90% sure it hasn't moved since a LONG time ago. Other tires are studded snow tires.

I wouldn't do a 5.0 swap. I'd rock that flathead and swap in the 5 speed to make it more driveable, or heck leave the 3 speed in it. Or a later 4 speed perhaps...but either way sweet truck!!!
The traditionalist in me is screaming keep the flatty, but the hot rod guy in me, plus the practical side, says more power, reliability, and daggon flat head parts are EXPENSIVE! She runs and drives fine, but I'd like to have a little more modern of an engine/trans combo with a strong aftermarket since its going to get driven regularly. C'mon, its not like I'm putting a small block chevy in it :D

Thats cool. I say leave the flathead and fix the body,suspension and brakes. Whats the supercharger for?
I'm not touching the body right now. 1) I don't have the money and would rather make her safe and reliable to drive than look good. 2) I don't have the proper shop to do body 3) It looks pretty freaking cool :D Its 80ish% surface, and the areas that are through are of no structural significance. The cab corners, rockers, floors, cab/bed/doghouse mounts, frame, are all there and solid.
I do plan to restore her one day, but I would rather enjoy the drive now and fix the pretty stuff later on when I have the time, money, and shop to devote to it. I really don't want to half-a$$ this, and right now, if I got to deep, I would inevitably do so unfortunately.

The supercharger came with it. It's something her dad picked up years back as a complete unit, and never did anything with. I'll probably sell/trade it . . . no wait . . . I got it . . . MAD MAX is making a comeback :D

I wouldn't lower it, but that's just me. Sits low enough, IMHO. You're off to a good start though. I'd say put a 335 or 385 series V8 in it and roll from there. It's a truck, make it capable of what a truck should be able to do!
To me, it lacks the attitude of a hot rod. I'm not talking bagged drop, scrapin every which way, sideways over speed bumps low, but enough to give it some attitude. Interesting engine choice . . . I'll look into that. THANKS!
Here is a pic a guy over at KillBillet photoshopped for me to give you an idea of what I am leaning towards . . .

leave the flathead in it!!
cool truck
Leave the flathead, 4 or 5 speed
ALLRIGHT ALLRIGHT ALLRIGHT YOU PURIST-AFFILIATING-TRADIOTIONAL-FACISTS :D

I'd love to keep it in there, but I hate not having the reliability and the trust. I plan to drive this thing A LOT after the front disc break conversion, rewiring, and checkover. I'm in quite the quandry.
Ah, well we'll cross that road when we get there.
BY THE WAY, I need a name for this ride. All my cars have had names, but I can't pin one down for this one. Any ideas?
All these questions, but I did decide on one thing . . . my new shift knob (see below) :D I'll keep y'all posted, and as always, thanks for the comments, ideas, suggestions, and don't chu do dat hand slaps . . . keep em coming! This is by far the best damn community on the web!

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
*frowns*

It's your truck, do what you want - but I'm not at all a fan of the "Looks like them springs dun sprung, boy!" look.

The stock ride height looks good on that truck with those tires.

BIG secret: Try to match the center of the wheel with the center of the fenderwell radius. That tends to be the most pleasing height. You then fill it in as desired with wheel and rubber choices.

Being a truck, slammed tells me it's not a work truck but a toy. And to make that a toy is like taking a 62 year old man and putting him up as a pole dancer. *EEEWWWWW!!!!!*

RwP

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*frowns*

It's your truck, do what you want - but I'm not at all a fan of the "Looks like them springs dun sprung, boy!" look.

The stock ride height looks good on that truck with those tires.

BIG secret: Try to match the center of the wheel with the center of the fenderwell radius. That tends to be the most pleasing height. You then fill it in as desired with wheel and rubber choices.

Being a truck, slammed tells me it's not a work truck but a toy. And to make that a toy is like taking a 62 year old man and putting him up as a pole dancer. *EEEWWWWW!!!!!*

RwP
Well, to each his own I guess. To me it lacks the look, but I get where you're coming from. I'll cross that bridge when i get there (sure it'll be another thread full of debate :D)

95Badbird -
Shoot me a PM and we can talk about it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Nice truck! I kinda gotta agree on the stock height maybe even raise it a little more if anything. Get some bigger tires (some steam rollers in the back). Whats your budget on the motor? I was thinkin a little 302 would be perfect.

Have you come back to good ol' Cooke-vegas yet?

Maybe not as much as this but you get the idea. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/658140-ford-f1-1948-rebuilt-in-pakistan.html

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think a correctly done flat black paint job would look great. And keep all the chrome too.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice truck! I kinda gotta agree on the stock height maybe even raise it a little more if anything. Get some bigger tires (some steam rollers in the back). Whats your budget on the motor? I was thinkin a little 302 would be perfect.

Have you come back to good ol' Cooke-vegas yet?

Maybe not as much as this but you get the idea. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/658140-ford-f1-1948-rebuilt-in-pakistan.html
Yeah man . . . I'm back at Tech doing ME. I am pretty sure I have seen a suspicious T-Bird on campus lookin clean as hell. Thought it may have been you. I'll try to catch you sometime if you're still on campus. I'm on a pretty tight budget with school, but have a few leads and very good connections with the yards around Cookeville so hopefully I can come across a good deal. I agree with the wider tires on the rear, but nothing wider than 315s.

My daughter said to name it Mater from the Cars movies
That's great man :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts