TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some thought of not really wanting to sell my car i've decided to get another vehicle, a pick-up. I leaning towards a 4cyl cause i'm tired of spending $300 a month on just gas...either way, what i had in mind was a few trucks:
-Ranger
-S10 or Sonoma
-toyota t100
-nissan truck

but which one do you guys recommend??? i've looking for an early model, like from 88-92 cause i dont wanna spend much. So what do you recommend?? any thoughts???

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
In my experience, a 2.3 Ranger will last forever. IIRC, my dad's old store had an old Ranger that lasted until about 300,000 as a delivery vehicle. I've seen a lot of T100's last for a long time too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any truck that's in decent shape is not going to be cheap. If you decide on a 6cyl. you may check out the early 90's Dodge Dakotas. I just sold a 93 3.9L. No problems at all. Got about 22-24mpg. Also had plenty of power. All 4 cylinders whether Chevy, Ford or Toyota would be O.K. if properly maintained. If your looking to get an 80's truck, you may consider the small Toyota pickups. They are very small but very dependable. I owned a few of them, and they always got me where I was going.( FYI, I sold my 93 for $1800. It was 2 wheel drive, regular cab, 5 spd, just a plain truck, with 139,000 miles.)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had an '89 2.3 5spd, wish I still had it. Tough and damn reliable, biggest problem I ever had was needing a new headlight, and I beat on that truck off road. Excellent gas mileage, could do damn near anything, and none of the rust problems of older chevys or toyotas.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Those were pretty reliable trucks, only thing I never liked is they are very low

·
Registered
79 Posts
I loved my 91 ranger i used to have. i rolled it on two seperate occasions. still ran good til the day i sold it with 215,000 miles on it. that truck was put through hell and never gave in. it did however nickle and dime me to death lol. i mean small stuff like belts, hoses,battery clamps, exhaust,etc.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Those Rangers will take a beating, I never rolled mine. But it did go through the flood control channel a few times and a few creeks. Saw alot of rough terrain, all it ever needed was a new headlight and a couple dash bulbs. Sure do miss that truck.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
IMHO, get a real truck or none at all. If your looking at rangers. etc, you might as well get a wagon. Check the cubic feet on them, I've seen a couple damn close to 100 cu.ft.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
GreenBird said:
IMHO, get a real truck or none at all. If your looking at rangers. etc, you might as well get a wagon. Check the cubic feet on them, I've seen a couple damn close to 100 cu.ft.
A ford F-150 with a 300-6 and 5speed OD will get you 20-21 on the highway if you treat it nice and 15-16 around town.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
What fun can ya have with a wagon? And I doubt youll find one that will last as long as an older Ranger.

·
Registered
946 Posts
How about a 2001 Honda CRV with 35k miles? Reliable, gas-sipping, and pretty practical. And I just happen to be selling mine! :D

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
rancherlee said:
A ford F-150 with a 300-6 and 5speed OD will get you 20-21 on the highway if you treat it nice and 15-16 around town.
He's not talking about an F150. He said a ranger, etc.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Chevy Colordo seems to have replaced the S-10 pickup. It looks ok. They have a 4cyl version but its pricey. They seem to be 10k+ on eBay at the moment. I'm also looking for a 4cyl pickup. Something better than 25mpg the wife's car gets.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
GreenBird said:
He's not talking about an F150. He said a ranger, etc.
I think he said that because you told him to get a full size, he was saying the gas mileage on a full size ain't that great.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you want a bulletproof truck, get the Toyota, or a Ranger 2.3.

I think I was getting about 24-27 mpg with my 2.3 ranger. It would be more, but you have to floor it (constantly) to go up hills or accelerate normally :)

The V6 ranger probably gets around the same gas mileage, but there are more moving parts to blow up.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My 2.3 5spd got about 25 hwy with the 4.11s and bigger tires.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I had 4.11s aswell. Stock tire size though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm with Rancherlee, get a real truck. I bought my '79 F100- 3 spd 300 six for $500. gets around 14-15 in town after a tune-up and rebuilt carb. Manual everything, power nothing. My wife refuses to drive it. You can have a classic and a second vehicle.

If you want even better mileage and still get a real truck, the late 80's early 90's F150 with the FI300 six w/5 spd would give great mileage plus it has enough power to tow. The 300 is an inline 6, which is noted for it's torque.

Most folks I know that had Rangers ended up buying F150's when they grew up :zwall: [searches frantically for flame suit]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts