TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what I should do first. I have an '03 Mustang GT MAF, airbox, tube and 180-degree thermostat on the way from Dan Newman. While searching around the site today I read that intake plenums and throttle bodies seem like a good mod. Would I notice an improvement with those mods along with the MAF (and chip of course)? I know the chip makes a huge difference, but I want to know if doing the plenum and throttle body is worth it.

I always get PI intakes and heads confused too. :leftright
I'm not sure I understand them completely, but would probably want to get a PI intake too?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I would also go with a set of colder plugs, prob 22C's. The PI Intake would almost be a direct bolt on for you. You will need a heater hose in the vallye and a few other misc things but it would definately be a good mod. Until you are running some really good flowing stuff, you probably don't need to go with an aftermarket tbody/plenum. But if you wanted to you could. I've heard that larger t-body/plenum combos on nearly stock engines actually hurts your performance a bit.

Joe

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I am with whitecoug. Spend 300 more so you can PI cams and PI intake and the orde your chip. I don't think you will get any HP on does mods...

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
whitecoug said:
I would also go with a set of colder plugs, prob 22C's. The PI Intake would almost be a direct bolt on for you. You will need a heater hose in the vallye and a few other misc things but it would definately be a good mod. Until you are running some really good flowing stuff, you probably don't need to go with an aftermarket tbody/plenum. But if you wanted to you could. I've heard that larger t-body/plenum combos on nearly stock engines actually hurts your performance a bit.

Joe
If you get the right chip, (SCT) you HAVE to get colder plugs, and a lower temp T-stat.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Really? ModularDepot told me I dont need to run the colder plugs when I got the flasher. I did have timing adjust, and now have to run Premo gas. I guess they either dont know or change stuff.

-Andrey

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That's about 98% correct. I have seen some vehicles not ping when I've reflashed or installed a chip. I try and test it out first before letting them leave though. But yes most of them that have stock plugs and Tstat do ping so I've had to back off some timing. I just don't understand some people. They want a chip to get better performance but then won't spend the extra for the plugs and Tstat to make it complete.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Gene at MD/Apten told me I didn't need to run 22c's, but I've gotten pinging under load on both 87 and 93 octane settings on the stock plugs so I'm swapping them out.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had the same thing on that 95 Cougar that I put in the Explorer engine. Changed plugs and it helped some but he was running completely stock single exhaust also so I had to back off some timing. All those little things make a difference you'll find.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I was running stock plugs (and stat) for awhile with my chip running 91 and didn't have any pinging problems. I did start to encounter a little miss after some time, probably due to the age of the plugs, so I found it a good excuse to swap them out and put 22's in.

Joe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cams and intake sound good. How much more HP could I expect with the cams, intake, and chip?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Depends on who you talk to. Generally, I'd say between 40-50 hp. It's definately a good swap to do.

Joe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got prices for the cams and intake from Dan Newman. Sounds pretty good. He also gave me a price on the complete FRPP Romeo PI head w/cam. Originally, I didn't plan to do the heads, but the price was lower than I thought it would be so it's now a possibility. If I understand correctly, the NPI heads in '97s will work with the PI cams and PI intake without doing anything to the heads. Is it worth putting the PI heads in? I looked at the tech article and it seems like a lot of other things would need to be replaced as well. I don't plan to race the car -- I just want to make it better without going broke or crazier.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm not sure where that number is coming from.

After installing:

PI intake
SCT Flasher
02 GT MAF
Aluminum Driveshaft
Fuel Pump/Injectors (I know they have no effect now, but later they will)
Mark 8 Transmission

My times went from 15.3 to 15.1; with the 60' time dropping by .1 (probably due to track prep) so that .1 alone could be responsible for the .2 difference in times.

Same temperature.

*edit* best MPH before was 90.01, after was what's in my sig. So that looks like oh ~10hp (MAYBE) to me.

-Andrey

whitecoug said:
Depends on who you talk to. Generally, I'd say between 40-50 hp. It's definately a good swap to do.

Joe

·
Registered
573 Posts
Lonnie said:
That's about 98% correct. I have seen some vehicles not ping when I've reflashed or installed a chip. I try and test it out first before letting them leave though. But yes most of them that have stock plugs and Tstat do ping so I've had to back off some timing. I just don't understand some people. They want a chip to get better performance but then won't spend the extra for the plugs and Tstat to make it complete.
Lonnie, I'd like to add just a little to that. I had the pinging problem two different times during my upgrade process. After two times of pinging I have come to the conclusion that this is a mechanical problem, not electrical. The fist time mods were: Premium gas always, Superchip- no ping, K&N filter- no ping, 70mm TB- no ping, 180 Th stat and colder plugs- no ping, 75mm Pro MAF- ping ping @ 3000- 4000 rpm ! Remove chip- ping ping still. ?? Put a Dennis Diablo chip in - ran a ton better but still ping ping. Found upper intake plenum bolts a little loose plus crack in the rubber intake tube- put tape one it. Wala, no ping! From this point I went to the MAC cold air intake- no ping, C&L 75mm upper intake plenum and the 75mm TB.- Ping ping again @ 3000- 4000 rpm!! Now I recheck everything, still ping ping. Came to Dennis's shop for the tranny & TC, plus the SCT reflash for my 3.73 gears and tranny. Shift points are great, runs great, but still ping ping. Dennis said he could take timing out at the cost of performance, I said no. Then I put on JBA headers, took the cats off, put larger pipes on, and guess what?? This thing will now rip, snort, and fart. All 3800 LBS, no pings whatsoever. So go figure. I did Ed

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
MadRussian said:
I'm not sure where that number is coming from.

After installing:

PI intake
SCT Flasher
02 GT MAF
Aluminum Driveshaft
Fuel Pump/Injectors (I know they have no effect now, but later they will)
Mark 8 Transmission

My times went from 15.3 to 15.1; with the 60' time dropping by .1 (probably due to track prep) so that .1 alone could be responsible for the .2 difference in times.

Same temperature.

*edit* best MPH before was 90.01, after was what's in my sig. So that looks like oh ~10hp (MAYBE) to me.

-Andrey

My bad...I was thinking everything with the PI head swap too. I know regualr 96/7 heads won't get that much. But with the intake and the cams, I would expect maybe 20 hp. Add a set of PI heads and you'd get closer to 40-50 hp.

Joe

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ed,

That's what I'm talking about. Not every car is the same so you can't just throw in the same file for every one of them and expect them all to run the same. To many differences between them. Like that Cougar with the Explorer engine, I know the ping would go away if he had dual exhaust. And depending on where, when the ping happens, if you narrow it down you can pull out some timing without losing a bunch of hp. But the safest bet to keep it from showing up is to change the plugs, Tstat and run good gas.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Curious I bought one new it bolts on but I have some houses that go nowhere now. One that bends in like a hook and out toward the rear of the engine and a little one. Am I missing a connection somewhere? runs goood tho. I still have my Check Engine light coming on since way back I have no idea why. Got any suggestiosn? I got pics to try to show what I see.
Regg:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts