TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i found out today after all my checking, i have a bent engin craddle, anyone ever changed on of these out?, my body shop guy told me you can pull the craddle but i dont know if id be able to do that, or if id want to do it, but i know i have alot of work ahead of me

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
woah! how did you manage to do that? :confused:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
That would be the K-Member, right??????? If so, it's not that bad, you can do it in a weekend, just make sure you invite a friend or two over, and have a good floor jack, and an engine hoist, or some way to hold the engine up while you change it out.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
They come out real easy, the only problem is holding the enigne up and all the stuff that you have to remove from it, like suspension, power steering, etc.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so basically, engine hoist is needed, to hold the engine up once you unbolt the bad boy, and of coarse floor jacks to help along the way with some things?, i thought an engine craddle would be a relaly hard job to do

·
Registered
329 Posts
Can someone tell me how to bend the tension strut (which is attached to the k-member I think) back or how much it would cost to bring it to a body shop.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tension strut?

meaning, torsion bar?

and whoa more breaking of parts lol

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don’t know, it's welded to the chassis though and I didn’t think it was removable, my dad knows all the parts about 10x better than me, if I could scan the picture It would be better, but it's in my parents bedroom and it's 12:33 AM :p

Oh,

I took a curve at 32 MPH (I just got done with my MR2 which is now totaled due to an idiot who creamed a co-worker into my MR2 and totaled it about a month ago)... anyways my MR2 could handle any curb without taking any traction loss, well, not my old bird!

She lost traction and hit the curb and the tire blew out because the rim bent a little then not knowing what had happened, I started to drive bending the rim and eventually cracking it. (Thank god my house was like two houses down).

Which leads me to my next conclusion..

DONT DRIFT IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD UNLESS YOU HAVE A GOOD LIGHT CAR!

(or at all for that matter)

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
o and your still traking down bent parts?, i thought you had something that pertained to an engine cradle, aka k meber...you didnt bend that b/c you hit in your rear, i thought you hit something up front

·
Registered
329 Posts
I did hit it in the front, when I slid it wasnt one of those smooth curbs, it was one that has the sewer drains on it and I hit that then it jumped it onto the smooth part.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
That unbolts 3ATM3.Mine was bent also so all I did was get another and bolt it back in.Takes about 10 minutes.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
maybe time for one of these . They arent done yet but looks like it will be a good upgrade.

Frank

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks guys,

Can anyone direct me to instructions on how to remove it with pictures, etc?

Just talked to my dad, he still claims up and down that it's welded to the chassis! Someone, if you could, prove him wrong just this once :D

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
3ATM3,

You can see one of the two bolts that hold that bar on in the picture that you posted. Remove both bolts holding it on, replace it with one that isn't bent, and reinstall the bolts.

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
JoeyICU,

I've been trying to PM you back about the K-member, but your PM Inbox is full. Send me an email at [email protected] or PM me again, when you get a chance.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pm away i cleared all my pms just now, im trying to find out how much a tubular k meber would cost, i think i may be dreaming but it just seems to make sense if you do that much work to actaully upgrade the car

·
Registered
708 Posts
OK, now if this was me, I'd call the insurance company. remember, you just had an accident. if you have any collision coverage, your insurance company will pay to replace any damaged parts. it doesnt matter if you were screwing off or not, they dont have to know that. thats pretty much only if you have collision though. your state may be different too.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this happened in febuary, and ye id love for my insurane rates to go up over a 200 dollar part, i dont have anything but the most basic insaurce to actually keep my rates low, im 18 and i drive, it costs alot

1 - 20 of 39 Posts