TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:When i was looking under my car for any problems i found that the right rear lower control arm mounts were bent. even when examining the car from above you can see that it is bent. its pretty bad. is there anything i can do to fix this or have it fixed? thanks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
:confused:When i was looking under my car for any problems i found that the right rear lower control arm mounts were bent. even when examining the car from above you can see that it is bent. its pretty bad. is there anything i can do to fix this or have it fixed? thanks.
Body shop

Dennis

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have seen several that were slightly bent while installing new bushings. It happens if the car hits a curb hard enough (and often bends something else as well). If the rear mount brackets are "tweaked", then the forward mount brackets almost certainly have to be as well (assuming that the LCA was installed when it happened).

If the welds where the mount bracket attaches to the sub-frame, and the sub-frame itself appear to be straight, then I've used a 5 lb sledge to realign the mounts. Mind you, this is only if they're are "slightly" off, and YMMV.

All this needs to be done with the LCA's off of the car. The distance between the rear mount ears should be just slightly greater than 3.2" (the forward brackets are about 4.6" apart).

As long as nothing is really bent out of shape, and appears to be structurally sound, reinstalling the LCA will pull the brackets into position, and a 4-wheel alignment will make up for any slight variance.

If you think it's bad, than I'd certainly agree with the body shop suggestion.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Since all MN12 front k-members are the same, there are tons of them in junkyards. If it is bent very bad why not just replace it?

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you replace the K-Member, may want to consider a new rack-n-pinion while you're in there. . .

Stephen

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
BAGGED89 said:
am I missing something. I thought we were talking about the rear?
Yeah ... me too.

jonashaffer said:
When i was looking under my car for any problems i found that the right rear lower control arm mounts were bent. even when examining the car from above you can see that it is bent. its pretty bad. is there anything i can do to fix this or have it fixed? thanks.
Not sure after he metions "... even when examining the car from above ...":confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts