TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, recently I went kinda off the road and hit a tree stump (I swear I didnt see it) which didn't really mess anything major up, but it did bend this piece of steel underneath my car.

It's about 6"-1 foot in front (towards the engine) of the rear diff. and it's underneath my driveshaft/exhaust pipes.

I thought it was just added protection for the driveshaft or something, so I didn't really care. But one day I was jacking up my car, and I wanted to see if I could "Bend it straight" buy jacking up the car by it, and it didn't buckle at all, so I'm thinking it may be structural. I got it about 2 feet in the air and it was fine. Then I tried unbolting the two bolts that hold it on (like 8mm) and I couldn't do it. However I don't have a 3/8s-1/4" extension, and was trying to twist it off like a screwdriver.

I've noticed that one of my exhaust pipes rests on it, and when I shut the car off I hear a VERY loud popping noise for about 5-10 minutes after i turn off the car, and it seems to be coming from that exact spot.

Also, when I let off the gas, I can feel like "banging"/"clunking" coming from almost the same spot. I was told that may be attributed to a diff. mount, which would make sense since the stump may have hit the pumpkin as well.

I can get pics if necessary.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
if i remember correctly from last time i was under the car, that would be a cross memember of some sort, you have to take it off when you replace exhaust and crap like that, it takes a good 3/8's inch drive socket to get those loose, i personally use a 3/8's impact at work. as far as if it is structural? i have no idea, but why else would there be a useless piece of steel under there? probabaly for some sort or support

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Are you guys talking about this part (see yellow circle in picture)?

If so, send me an email at [email protected] with your zip code for a shipped price on a straight one. I know I have a few of them laying around from some of the MN12's I've parted out.

-Rod

1 - 4 of 4 Posts