TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 cougar xr7

I whacked the curb pretty hard (blew the tire) recently, and I've had a vibration since. It feels like the right front wheel which is what hit the curb.

I have replaced:
tire and rim (lug holes and lug nuts were damaged.)
hub assembly (twice, first replacement didn't feel right)

I've inspected the rotor and see no signs of damage.

Within the last year I've replaced UCA, LCA, strut rod bushings, and sway bar end links and I still have a clunk in the front end at low speed (parking lot mostly)

Reading old posts I've seen a bent spindle proposed as a cause of wheel vibration, but I don't understand how, and I don't want to spend anymore money than I have too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Clint

·
Registered
141 Posts
I didn't think these had spindles. I thought it was a solid press-fit wheel bearing.
But it is a possible cause if equiped. So are the bearings. I've had my share of curb whacks and they are never pretty.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Distortion 5.0 said:
I didn't think these had spindles. I thought it was a solid press-fit wheel bearing.
The spindle is the chunk of metal that runs from the upper control arm to the lower control arm.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Just making sure because you haven't meantioned it, you did get an alignment correct?

-Miller

·
Registered
141 Posts
tinman_72 said:
The spindle is the chunk of metal that runs from the upper control arm to the lower control arm.
That's called the "Steering Knuckle" The spindle is a smooth pointed shaft upon which wheel bearings are ment to glide. I don't think that the steering knuckle itself would bend at all before it broke, (and I doubt it would break)

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I had this happen to me during the winter time, just replace the whole knuckle, look at your ball joints and bushings too for possible damage. Have an alignment done right after. Firestone is having a sale on alignments here, not sure if that is nation wide.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
While some people associate spindle with only the part that a wheel bearing spins on, spindle and knuckle are usually used interchangably on our cars.

Too bad you not closer, I have the spindles/hubs/LCA/end links/rotors/calipers/wheels (jeeze) etc from my 89. I upgraded it to the 93+ spindle so I could upgrade the brakes.

If the car can be aligned then I don't see the spindle being a problem (bent where it goes between the UCA and LCA, or the part the hub mounts to) but anything is possible. Was it a side impact or a straight on impact?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bangster said:
While some people associate spindle with only the part that a wheel bearing spins on, spindle and knuckle are usually used interchangably on our cars.

Too bad you not closer, I have the spindles/hubs/LCA/end links/rotors/calipers/wheels (jeeze) etc from my 89. I upgraded it to the 93+ spindle so I could upgrade the brakes.

If the car can be aligned then I don't see the spindle being a problem (bent where it goes between the UCA and LCA, or the part the hub mounts to) but anything is possible. Was it a side impact or a straight on impact?
I'm just refering to the terminology I learned in Automotive School.
I'm sure as long as people know what your talking about you can use lots of things interchangably, like calling all wheels with a certain look "mags" when only magnesium wheels are true Mags. Or calling wheels "RIMs' for that matter, when only a certain kind of wheel (Where the Rim of the wheel and the Hub are not cast in one part, usually Spoked) is an actual Rimmed wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bangster said:

I did have it aligned, and the numbers were good (as I recall, I need to find the sheet.)

It was an angled impact. I was making the right turn from Pearl street eastbound onto 55th street southbound, and hit the curb on the right side past the crosswalk where it juts out into the street slightly. Hopefully the google map link will work.
Google Map!
<no particular reason to show the map, just interesting>

Distortion 5.0 said:
It would be as if the alignment was off, and it could even be binding slightly.
How are modern alignments done? Do they hang the targets on the wheels or mount them on the flat spots on the knuckle? If the knuckle is aligned, then the spindle could be bent relative to the knuckle (it would take a lot of force to do that) leaving an alignment problem. On the other hand, if the plane of the wheel is aligned, there should be any problems unless the wheel was wobbling. Since the
rim is different, that seems unlikely.

Still stumped...

Clint

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Distortion 5.0 said:
That's called the "Steering Knuckle" The spindle is a smooth pointed shaft upon which wheel bearings are ment to glide. I don't think that the steering knuckle itself would bend at all before it broke, (and I doubt it would break)
Distortion 5.0 said:
I'm just refering to the terminology I learned in Automotive School.
I'm sure as long as people know what your talking about you can use lots of things interchangably, like calling all wheels with a certain look "mags" when only magnesium wheels are true Mags. Or calling wheels "RIMs' for that matter, when only a certain kind of wheel (Where the Rim of the wheel and the Hub are not cast in one part, usually Spoked) is an actual Rimmed wheel.
Now learn the terminology Ford uses in their technical service literature. :D

Since your getting all technical about it, Ford describes this suspension component as a "Hot forged, one-piece front wheel spindle (3105) with integral caliper anchor plates."

So technically it's not a "steering knuckle". ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts