TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,651 Posts
I'm curious; did a bent valve break off the seat?

A pi swap will rock; there's a compression boost. :)

PI heads can be had pretty cheaply, too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what I'm thinking happened. I liked my heads tho. Fox lake stage 3 npi heads I bought from a member on here. I got some pi heads sitting in my shed so I guess it's time to use them

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
That is what I'm thinking happened. I liked my heads tho. Fox lake stage 3 npi heads I bought from a member on here. I got some pi heads sitting in my shed so I guess it's time to use them
If they are stock NPI heads, I would go with the PI ones. I don't know what "Stage 3" means to Fox Lake so you might want to check with them to see if they think it's worth the repair (in terms of perf vs PI heads). You can then decide by getting a repair cost from a local machinist if the ROI is there.

FWIW, don't just trash/recycle the heads even if you go with the PI swap; someone on CL will buy your old heads in AS-IS condition b/c they can repair it themselves for a cheaper cost than you would have to pay for machinist time (if it turns out that the repair cost isn't worth it).

I've sold stock 302 E7 iron heads, used stock rocker arms + springs with >100K mi on them, even an incomplete set of stock 302 GT40 valves that needed to be reground for beer money (tens of bucks). You will likely get more for the modified Fox Lake heads even if damaged.

-g

·
Super Moderator
10,651 Posts
...Fox lake stage 3 npi heads I bought from a member on here...
Those were expensive, back in the day.

That makes more sense; stock heads won't usually break when you bend a valve, there's not that much lift.

I'd at least see what they are compared to PI heads; you may not be happy with that swap.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Looks to me like it's just a broken guide. Can't the machine shop just install a new one for relatively low cost?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Wonder what happened to these heads for them to fail like that.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ask performance machine shops...sometimes they have heads they have lying around that they sell pretty cheap. Most heads are repairable for $$$$$$$.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts