TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best 10" sub under $250..... was at best buy, curicuit city, & cartoy's & they all had diff opinions, alpine type r, rf p3, boston acustics something... only want to run one sub due to space...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
wont find it there. :tongue:
its all opinion really. been in love with jl since im the 3rd owner of the ones i have now. they are old and still make bow windows flex. :tongue:
im just joking around by the way. get oyur stuff where you want brother.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
I like JL, but I think it's overpriced (just my opinion). I think when I revise my system it's going to be an Alpine deck, JBL components and I'm unsure about amps. Those will probably be Hifonics, Alpine or JBL amps.

I'd give a look into the JBL line. I used to think it was cheap junk, then I heard a setup and looked into them. I'm sold :D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I love my Alpine Type R (though it's a 12). Got it for $100 in a box. Pounds good enough for my liking.

·
Registered
148 Posts
ya i think ud be happy with a type r 10, i love all alpine products so far. but what are u looking to get out of it?? spl or sound quality?

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
guitar maestro said:
RE XXX 10
JBL W10GTi

if you can find a good deal on them, that is :)
That's right! You were the one that got me interested in the JBL GTI subs. Guess I can blame you. :tongue:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just bought a kicker solobarick (sp) 10" new in a box for $92. got a new kicker 400 watt RMS amp on ebay for another $100. Im thinking that it will pound pretty decent

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
I would go with a 10inch Alpine Type R.
or a type x... if you wanted to drop 600 or so on one....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know this may be a shameless plug for one of my sponsors, but you might do well to look into the funkin audio sx series of subs. (The ones with the flat cones)

I know two team members who use these subs.
One of them won the iasca world heavyweight bassboxing championship last Sept. using twelve of them in his van, playing music all day.
And another is the current world record holder in the iasca stock 1 class using two of them with 6000 watts strapped on them.
www.funkinaudio.com

·
Super Moderator
11,978 Posts
a lot of the subs mentioned are very good all-around subs, but for pure SQ i'd still stick with a WGTi

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JBL-W10GTi-...78QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3291QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

price couldnt be better

one thing you have to look into with that one though, is amplification....it has two voice coils that have to be run simultaneously (ALWAYS!) due to the dual-gap-motor.....final nominal impedance is ~ 4 ohms when in parallel, therefore is it highly recommended that you get high-quality amplification in the neighborhood of 800-1000 W RMS into 4 ohms.......now a days, most amps put max power into into 2 or 1 ohm, so you have to be careful when getting an amplifier for it

im running my W10GTi with a RF BD1000.1, although it only gets 500W RMS @ 4 ohms, it still gets pretty loud

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
JL 10W6

I have 2, 12W6's(had them for about 9 years now), and they are great.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I dont know too much about subs, i was going to go with two alpine 10's but ended up getting a type r 12 for 100.00 of e-bay. so i figure go with a alpine type r 10" i say best bang for your bucks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sq

so then for sound quality what is the best??? i got the mids & highs down, but i need the bass....BOOMING BASS!!!!!!!! what sub, what amp, what wireing???thanx yall

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Ill throw my $.02 in here, I have a power acoustic 12" fubar 12 800 rms 1800 max and the sq is great (imo) nice clean deep base. I am sure there 10"ers would be great also, I spent like 130$ on the sub which is the cheapest 800rms woofer (of quality) that I have seen. A couple of guys from this site and tstacc have heard it in person and were impressed. I have it hooked up to a kenwood type d mono amp which number match the sub pretty well at [email protected] 2ohm/1700 max w the amp was like 350 I think when I bought it. Good luck with what ever you get and just make sure you match up the box (cu. in to sub) and I would say a ported box for sq.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I love my Boston Acoustics G5s, but they are VERY particular on the install. I first had them in a 3/4"sealed MDF box built to the manufacture spec and it sounded awesome. Now they sit it custom fiberglass enclosures and they only sound 'great':) BTW the amps are by Audison.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts