TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these Focal JMLXSBOOK XS Book Music System for a 2.1 system for my office. Jaw dropping. Buy a set for yourself before they're gone. They were worth the $500 they were selling for when they were still being produced, let alone the measly $200 Amazon is selling them for. The midrange is so transparent and revealing, its downright scary. I can't even fathom what their Grand Utopia, $188,000-a-pair signature loudspeakers sound like.

I combined them with this Infinity Primus PS38 150W Powered Subwoofer (Black), and its bar-none the absolute best sounding self-amplified 2.1 system I've ever heard.

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm in the market for a set of desktop speakers. I'll keep those in mind.

BTW, I love Infinity speakers. I've got a bonus room full of them ...

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the review. I'm in the market for a set of desktop speakers. I'll keep those in mind.

BTW, I love Infinity speakers. I've got a bonus room full of them ...
No prob. The other choices I had in mind were the B&W MM-1s. Also retail for ~$500. Supposedly they are on-par if not better than the Focal XS's that I bought, because they have a high-quality internal DAC that takes the [usually mediocre] PC soundcard out of the equation. But they have smaller woofers (3") vs the Focal's 4" woofers. Even then, using my laptop's standard headphone output and a low-grade $20 headphone-to-RCA adapter cable from Amazon, the Focal's sound amazing. I don't even have to mess with the EQ or anything----they are perfectly balanced and neutral across their entire range. Obviously the bass drops off sharply below around 70Hz, but that is expected from small midwoofers in very small enclosures---but that's where the Infinity sub kicks in. Now, I don't mind working 12hrs a day. I kinda look forward to after-3:45pm because I can crank it up a bit. Everyone that passes by my office compliments me on how good my music sounds, even if it's metal. They don't even know what I'm listening to, but they can tell there is something about the sound that makes them notice it.

The only other choice would be Dynaudio MC-15s. $1299/pr, retail. I'm not convinced they would sound better than the Focal's, although I bet they would certainly sound way louder. They have something like 50WPC, where as my 18WPC is plenty for an office.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I bet the staff at your school loves Napalm Death and all. :)

My co-workers all liked Marilyn Manson, until they knew who it was. >:)

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I managed to dump all my CD's to hires audio files years ago; as my taste changes, I tend to listen to different stuff.

The last albums I've bought were all Vinyl. :) Amazon gives you digital copies, so it's all good.

I have one mix that I love; it drives Everyone else insane, lol.

It includes: Onslaught, Snoop, Taylor Swift, Frank Sinatra, 2 live crew, Motorhead, Eminem, Metallica, Megadeth, and many others.

Best line I've caught from a video:

Beware of Platitudinous Ponderosities - Rick from Cheap Trick.

:)

You still in a band?

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts

Don't you work for a religious school?

Do they have any Idea how loud that would go, before the speakers burned?

I bet Your desktop has more power than their whole system, unless you built theirs , lol.
Can I send you a mix tape? >:)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Don't you work for a religious school?

Do they have any Idea how loud that would go, before the speakers burned?

I bet Your desktop has more power than their whole system, unless you built theirs , lol.
Can I send you a mix tape? >:)
Nah it's not a religious school, it's a S.T.E.M. charter school. Some staff knows how loud it can go, if they stay late enough in the day/evening >:)

Yea, the P.A. "system" here is aweful, lol. Mixed tapes are fine, so long as they're in digital format. :)

So, I guess I should change the title of this thread to the "best $1000" I've spent on PC stuff. But really the best was getting my Asus G752. Love this thing.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Cool, IDK where I got that idea.

I'd be jammin too, if I'm working after hours in a mostly empty building. :)

I'm in at 6, out at 3; but from 6-8 I can jam, most days.

My janitor won't let me listen to rap anymore; got caught singing along, uncensored. :surprise:

Everyone know if I have my door closed, and am jamming to a metal mix, not to disturb me unless it's an emergency. :)

I have this one mix for finalizing a set of PCB files, and that job has to be done in a perfect sequence; if it's not right it won't work correctly.

Disturbed, manson white zombie; if I get to the wrong song at the wrong step point, I know I've Fucked up somewhere, and have to start over. :facepalm:

It's a strange way to deal with highly repetitive tasks, but it works for me. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I temporarily swapped out to B&W 686's and added a dbx 234xs crossover unit to get better integration between the subs and speakers without relying on guesswork.

As you can see, I have much more clutter on my desk during my busy season.....

I also added a cheapie vacuum tube headphone pre-amp upstream of the already nice Behringer tube pre-amp.

...but I can't decide which speakers to keep using. The B&Ws, or the Focal's........ugghhh...life's difficult choices for me......Lord have mercy on me, I'm only one man, my mind can only handle so much.....

Mission Control. Houston, we have lift-off....

Here is the vacuum tube pre-amp at home, with no flash to obscure the raw powah of the toobz...

:D

·
̇
3,701 Posts
That little tube pre-amp looks sweet.. :wink2:

Judging by your taste in audio gear, I think it would be safe to assume you're listening to more than just metal..lol

It would be a pity, not to enjoy other types of music on such fabulous gear..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutely! Listen to the crisp, amazing sound of baritone/bass male vocals on this British-origin symphony/concerto.....

Please select 1080P and crank up your speakers to listen to details and nuances like you never have before....

:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Vacuum tube upgrade complete. The Behringer got the gold-pin Tung-Sol 12AX7s, and the Douk pre-amp got the Tung-Sol's I took out of my Behringers. Used 12AX7-to-6N3 adapters from Ebay, and they worked perfectly. And a big ol' Sovtek 6AS7G.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bad news. As of right now, it appears that I will have another office next school year. Not a different one, but another office. Yes, 2 offices. So now I will be faced with the mental torture and anguish of having to furnish my 2nd office with another equally impressive stereo system. But what to use?!?!? I'm torn, and can't decide. :(

Since I'm liking vacuum tube amplification, I'm leaning towards two of these, one for each channel:

Specs:
  • Main features:
  • 1. Class A push-pull power amplifier to reduce distortion;
  • 2. User-selected amplifier modes, UL (Ultra linear) provides greater output power and TR (Triode mode) does smooth and low distortion sound;
  • 3. Powered by Russia-made Electro-Harmonix 6550 output tubes;
  • 4. Utilizes Japanese blue ALPS potentiometer as volume controller with low noise and durable;
  • 5. Utilizes the France solen capacitors, the Japanese Nippon Chemi-con capacitors, and high quality carbon-film resistors;
  • 6. The Output transformers manufactured with Grain Oriented Silicon Steel (GOSS) core to reduce distortion and oxygen-free enameled copper;
  • 7. Tubes rectifying and choke filtration to reduce ripple and hum and to provide much better dynamics;
  • 8. Beautiful aluminum front panel, and 2mm steel plate heavy duty chassis provides excellent electromagnetic masks.
  • Specification:
  • Tubes:
    • 6550EH x 4 (Output Tubes, Made in Russia)
    • 6N8P x 2 (Drivers)
    • 6N9P x 2 (Voltage amplifiers)
    • 5Z3P x 2 (Rectifiers)
  • Maximum Output: 30W per channel (8Ω and Triode Mode) 60W per channel (8Ω and Ultra linear Mode)
  • Output Jacks: 2 channels with 2 groups gold plated jacks
  • Output Impedance: 4Ω and 8Ω
  • Input Jacks: Gold plated Isolated RCA jacks, 3 groups (CD, Tape, and AUX) on rear panel
  • Input impedance: 100KΩ
  • Input Sensitivity: 0.5V
  • Distortion of Harmonic Wave: ≤0.1%
  • Frequency Response: 13Hz-60KHz (-1dB)
  • Signal Noise Ratio(SNR): 89dB
  • Power Supply Voltage: AC110V(±10%)/220V(±10%) 60Hz/50Hz (110V, 120V, 230V, 240vversion and 60Hz version will take 7-21 business days to order) 220v is in stock. (There is a 230v version in stock,so you don't need to wait.)
  • Power Consumption: 230W
  • Net Weight: 25kg
  • Net Dimension: 440 x 360 x 200mm ( W x D x H)
  • Shipping Weight: 27kg
  • Shipping Dimension: 600 x 570 x 330mm ( W x D x H)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm still distraught and plagued with mental anguish as to what finish I want my new speakers in my 2nd office. Oh, the horror I suffer! :laugh:

I'm going to audition these in July and perhaps order a pair: https://destinationhifi.com/collections/all/products/legacy-calibre?variant=25286637448

But I don't know whether I want the Rosewood:

Or the Cabernet Sapele :

The desk in my new office is almost identical to my current desk:

Which finish would you choose?

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Personally... I prefer the natural wood look over the other one.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Me too! :)

I can send you a link for some good speaker wire:

>:)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts