TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think is the best after market intake manifold for my 97? I put a Dorman on my other 97 and was never impressed with the smaller ports. What one should I get? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Another Ford unit.

The Dorman units are junk. Get a replacement unit from the junk yard out if you can't afford new. Get it from a 98 - 04 Mustang or an '02+ Panther (Crown Vic / Grand Marquis / Town Car). So long as it doesn't have any cracks anywhere, it will be good. An Intake manifold from one of these units ought to also have the upgraded aluminum coolant pass over.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Another Ford unit.

The Dorman units are junk. Get a replacement unit from the junk yard out if you can't afford new. Get it from a 98 - 04 Mustang or an '02+ Panther (Crown Vic / Grand Marquis / Town Car). So long as it doesn't have any cracks anywhere, it will be good. An Intake manifold from one of these units ought to also have the upgraded aluminum coolant pass over.
99-04. 98 was NPI.

The FRPP one for ~250 is the best overall replacement for most situations. It supports a nice wide powerband, is light, doesn't heat soak, and works well. The downside is they will start to crack and fail after 20 years... Not much of a downside really.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another Ford unit.

Been there, done that. That's exactly what got me in this problem. The one on it now is one of the junkyard original Ford manifolds. It cracked along the rear plastic water fitting. Thanks but I need a new one but not the high dollar Ford one which cracks anyway. That's why I asked about aftermarket.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
99-04. 98 was NPI.

The FRPP one for ~250 is the best overall replacement for most situations. It supports a nice wide powerband, is light, doesn't heat soak, and works well. The downside is they will start to crack and fail after 20 years... Not much of a downside really.
Will the FRPP one work on a 1997 even though it is listed for a 1999-2004? Where can I find it for $250? That's a good price!

Phil Swanson

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to find a manifold for a non-PI engine . Stock 1997 configuration. Maybe I'm stuck with another Dorman. No junkyards! Those are guaranteed to crack from too many heat cycles and old age.

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
Will the FRPP one work on a 1997 even though it is listed for a 1999-2004? Where can I find it for $250? That's a good price!

Phil Swanson
Yes, that’s the common PI intake swap. You need a valley tube PI gaskets and need to dab two dots of RTV on the edge of the coolant ports on the head where the gaskets don’t quite align. In all other respects it’s a direct fit

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Get the FRPP unit. It'll work on a NPI heads. You just need the coolant tube and some RTV Black on the two cross corners. There are several write ups and a few YouTube videos on how to make it work on NPI heads. I'm running an FRPP unit right now....

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
I need to find a manifold for a non-PI engine . Stock 1997 configuration. Maybe I'm stuck with another Dorman. No junkyards! Those are guaranteed to crack from too many heat cycles and old age.
Those are Disco; JY is the only source.

You can buy a new PI manifold here:

https://www.modularheadshop.com/i-24721028-ford-racing-4-6l-2v-pi-intake-manifold.html?ref=category:1268182

For $279, drilled for the second sensor, that we need.

You will also need this:

https://www.modularheadshop.com/i-24493620-2v-npi-to-pi-swap-kit.html?ref=category:1268182

You can get these parts from a JY; Crown Vics and GM 4.6l cars to 2009 will have these; maybe later.

Getting the coolant 'nub' out is iffy, tho. Easier to buy new.

Read the sticky on how to do the swap; you will have to pull the water pump, so I'd upgrade it to the closed vane mustang unit at the same time.

If you pull it at the JY, you can grab the pulley as well, so you can use either type water pump.

There's a bunch of other stuff that has to be done just so; read up on it before you start.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought an ATP bolt on. Carried by Rock Auto so it's probably pretty good. Don't want to do allot of unnecessary mod work. This one is a bolt up. It's only a grocery getter.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
I have run the non-PI intake, PI intake, Typhoon and the street heat trick flow intakes on my cougar.

All of them work in the proper rpm range.

Get the intake manifold for the rpm range you intend to run.

Totally stock engine NPI or PI for a little more get up and go.

The Typhoon was slightly better than the PI.

Advantage of the Typhoon is all aluminum, fully portable and will never crack of break from too much boost.

Typhoon cost is not worth the performance gain unless you are supercharger or turbocharged.

TFS Street heat is a 7000 rpm manifold, not worth the cost unless you are running those rpm with heads, cams, valve springs and headers to match.

Fortunately, at the present time my junk works with this one.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not looking for any kind of a performance gain. It's debatable whether a PI manifold would boost HP anyway when you are running NPI heads. I also don't like the idea of mismatched ports. Sure the PI head will breathe better until the airflow hits the head ports. Then they are funneled down to the NPI port in the head. Gain is probably close to zero.

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
I am not looking for any kind of a performance gain. It's debatable whether a PI manifold would boost HP anyway when you are running NPI heads. I also don't like the idea of mismatched ports. Sure the PI head will breathe better until the airflow hits the head ports. Then they are funneled down to the NPI port in the head. Gain is probably close to zero.
Uhh, that debate was settled 10+ years ago with numerous dyno evidence to prove it. NPI ports aren’t smaller than PI, they’re just shaped differently at the flange, the mismatch may offend your aesthetic senses but the actual effect on airflow is nil. It’s also been proven in fact that the horsepower gains from just the PI intake and PI cams on npi heads are about equal to a full PI engine swap

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uhh, that debate was settled 10+ years ago with numerous dyno evidence to prove it. NPI ports aren’t smaller than PI, they’re just shaped differently at the flange, the mismatch may offend your aesthetic senses but the actual effect on airflow is nil. It’s also been proven in fact that the horsepower gains from just the PI intake and PI cams on npi heads are about equal to a full PI engine swap
If I want a HP gain, I'll drive my Challenger. Bust knuckles for 10 HP at best. I don't think so.

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
If I want a HP gain, I'll drive my Challenger. Bust knuckles for 10 HP at best. I don't think so.
I think you'll find much more happiness on a Mopar forum.

We like to bust knuckles here.

:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
I think you'll find much more happiness on a Mopar forum.

We like to bust knuckles here.

:rolleyes:
Hey!

We like busting knuckles on the Mopar forum I'm on for my Dakota, too!

But not just for a minor horsepower increase, no; we're typically working on how to make parts that fit and work with our obsolete trucks. >:)>:)

RwP

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.