TCCoA Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 71 of 71 Posts
Yes I run a shop. I also own and have owned many vehicles with Ford 4.6 engines. My mother, step-father, aunt, uncle, and grandmother all drive panther cars with the 4.6. I have a limo fleet as one of my clients, who up until recently was running 7 or 8 Lincoln town cars, all with the 4.6. This doesn’t even get into the 4.6 powered vehicles owned by many other customers. I have had more 4.6 intake manifolds off than I can count, both OEM and Dorman. The simple fact is that they all fail. The original all plastic ones cracked the crossover. The aluminum crossover ones crack between the plastic manifold and the aluminum crossover where they use integrated gaskets. The Dorman ones fail at the integrated gaskets both between the head and the plastic manifold, as well as between the plastic manifold and the aluminum crossover. They are all made of plastic, and have coolant circulating through them, so they all fail. The OEM ones seem to generally last 10-12 years. The Dorman ones generally seem to last 4-6 years. There are obviously exceptions in both of those groups. I have seen OEM manifolds that were 20 years old and not leaking, including one 99 Mustang with the all plastic crossover that as of a few years ago was still just fine. I have seen OEM ones that were 6 years old and leaking. I have seen Dorman ones fail in as little as 2 years. The OEM ones use better quality plastic, but it is still plastic. If you want to buy one intake manifold and never have to worry about it again, spend the $600 for a typhoon all aluminum one. If that is too much, buy the FRPP one for $300, and you should be good for 10 years. If that is too much, buy a China aftermarket one, and you might get lucky and have it last, but don’t be surprised if it fails in a few years. As for a used one, mosy of the used OEM ones I have pulled off were either already cracked, or about to crack at the crossover, so unless you know it was recently replaced, I wouldn’t bother with a used OEM one.

Discussion starter · #62 ·
I am sure that's great advice. Thanks for that. But I do think the newer Dorman's are much improved over the older Dorman's as an earlier post pointed out. Probably not as good as the OEMs but not as expensive either. I replaced a plastic crossover Ford NPI one with a Dorman about 15 years ago and it's still fine though. The car has well over 100K on it, 70K since the manifold was changed. That's an old Dorman before the upgrade so I think your estimate of 4-6 years is way short. 15 years and still ticking for one I replaced. On my other t Bird, I replaced the plastic manifold crossover about the same time with a used Ford NPI from the junkyard. That one cracked at the heater hose fitting and I just have Devcon on it now until I can replace it. The old Dorman is still doing great!

Like I said, there are exceptions on both ends, and if you have 15 years on a Dorman manifold, I promise you that is an exception. You have a sample size of 3 manifolds. I have replaced hundreds of these manifolds over the years. Do you want to know what to expect, or do you want to argue how good the Dorman one is?

Discussion starter · #64 ·
I think coming from NJ is at least half the problem. We here in San Diego don't have freezing winters or extreme heat. That's got to play into the equation. Maybe the Ford pieces are better than the newer Dormans but until a laboratory does an analysis, we really don't know for sure. My manifolds will never freeze. That's got to have an impact.

That's no way to analyze materials. I doubt you destroyed both anyway just to hear them crack. Fake News.
While not "scientific" in analysis, it does demonstrate that the plastic of the Dorman is more brittle (at least with age and use) than the Ford unit, does it not?

If I hit something with a BFH and it shatters, while another manufacturer's similar looking product just "bounces across the garage", I'd at least assume the one that takes a hard hit like that to be made of higher quality materials at the very least.

But, at the very least it appears that you are spending more time attempting to justify your choice in buying Dorman intake manifolds and ignoring the long history of evidence that they are substandard in both construction and quality to that of the OEM units.

So, going back to your original question, A Dorman intake will work. You will have a power loss over stock. The Ford PI manifold is a better choice as it lasts longer, is made of better materials (at least from a casual viewpoint), and will not lose performance over what was originally installed.

Buying a used composite/plastic intake manifold is a short term fix at best, as they're all old by this point, weathered, and will eventually fail. If you buy a new one, you can expect more life out of it, and it's not that expensive.

But, please, don't ignore actual, evidence proven advice just because it doesn't support your choice. No one cares really that you used a Dorman. It's not the best choice by any means, and the FRPP unit is a much better choice, period.

Reactions: Grog6
Don't you have a Fox News show to watch or something? :rofl:

Trolling the mods of the forum is not going to last for long; I'd say post something productive, or find somewhere else to troll.

You could drive it into deep water, and post a video of the results; but that's been done, lol.

We have a button, "one touch ban and clean", and we never have to hear your bullshit again.

You might want to consider that.

Why stop there? The Typhon is better yet.
So you missed the part where the Typhoon is poorly cast out of the box with lots of flash, so on top of paying 3x the cost of the ready to go out of the box FRPP manifold, you now also have to pay for port work to be done to it?

That's "better'?

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.