TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace me coolant. Its nasty Yellow lookin (no rust, just really dead). And My car run a little hot sometimes down here is the heat of Tucson. SO! My question is this:

Can I run distilled water and Water wetter only? I noticed this makes the car run very cool while still lubing the water pump. (Also, its not like I have to worry about it freezing down here... its always FREAKING HOT!!)

Or should I do a like 20/80 mix of antifreeze WITH water wetter?? Justt looking to keep my baby cool in this heat we have.

Thanks,
MG

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The coolant also raises the boiling point of the water, so you don't want to run completely without it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
or u can get some prestone quick fill. It comes already pre-mixed. Thats what i use in my car, when the low coolant light came on, it was a little low on coolant, topped it off, been runnin cool since!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I run 1gal "orange cool aid'', 2 water wetters, and the rest water to top it off after a flush.... here in fla... seems to work ok .... 192k on radiator......

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the capacity of our cooling systems on a 4.6?

i want to get the right %'s. Im thinking about doing a 70/30 mix with two water wetters... What do ya guys think?

(but I have no I dea how much 30% of my system size is... Does some one know this?!)

Thanks guys for the info!

MG:saeek: <--- I like it, Matches the name!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet,

Thanks guys...

And thanks Justin... I didnt think to msure it before hand! :rolleyes:

so does the water wetter help a lot?! I got on the site and watched the demo... It looks pretty impressive!

Thanks again guys.

MG

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Kentwood said:
I'd go with 70/30 water/glycol in the heat

and 50/50 in the winter
:zwthstpd:

·
Registered
940 Posts
wilson502 said:
or u can get some prestone quick fill. It comes already pre-mixed. Thats what i use in my car, when the low coolant light came on, it was a little low on coolant, topped it off, been runnin cool since!
it's cheaper if you get non-mixed antifreeze, cause you get twice as much for about the same price, price of water at home=free

anyways, go with 50/50 mix, safest for all conditions, just make sure you flush it good too.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If possible avoid using tap water in your cooling system. Use distilled water.

Tap water has many impurities you dont want in your cooling system; minerals, bacteria, chemicals, heavy metals and other contaminants. These can help cause poor performance and premature failure of your cooling system. (dirty/clogged systems, head gasket failure, poor heat transfer)

Distilled or demineralized waters have had these contaminats removed.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
One more thing I think I should add. Do not mix "orange" and "green" coolants together. You can bind up your system resulting in overheating and possibly have a very expensive fix.

You should try to keep the kind of coolant in your car consistant. If your car came from the factory with green coolant in it, change it with green coolant and vice versa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts