TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the bet Differential to get when i get my 3.55 gears?
I have the 3.08 rear end right now.
Or should i just get the FRPP aluminum deal?
I was looking at an Eaton Posi and FRPP 3.55 Gears.
What do you all think?
I dont want 3.73s cuz i wanna save some drivablilty

Thanks,
Allan

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
What do you have now?

Does your 3.08 rear have a traction lok? If you do why not just use that.

Joe

·
Registered
477 Posts
Me too.

I have an open 3.08 and want to upgrade to 3.55's with a trac-lok. I know that I have seen prices for 3.73 pumpkins with trac-lok for about $600, and they are a direct swap that can be performed yourself. What are the best prices for a 3.55 pumpkin set-up in the same manner?

Pat

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Check out Decy

Decy Figueroa offers rebuilt units for very good money. Drop him a line.

Decy Figueroa

Joe

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Just installed the FRPP rear unit as well as a Mark VIII shaft and converted to rear discs. In the approximately 40 miles of driving, 30 of which is highway on my way to work. The is hardly a noticeable difference in drivablilty. 300 rpms more than my 3.08 open. $ for $ I think it is the best deal. As a club member I had gotten mine fron 5 Star. The difference between a 3.55 and a 3.73 would hardly be noticeable in your highway driving IMHO. Good luck with your decision!:D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well, it depends on what you are doing. If you do any road racing, look into a zexel-torsen unit. They are NICE.

John

·
Registered
157 Posts
Decy

Has rebuilt 3.73s for like $400 with shipping I think it was. But I know he has them for $375 thats without shipping.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Is that a complete pumpkin w/trac-lok?

Pat

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I need to ask cuz this has been bothering me. What does IMHO mean?

And on a technical note, With trac-loc, dont you have a greater chance of braking the half shafts?

And another question, Trac-loc is the same as Posi right? Cuz I was yelling at this ***hole where i work cuz he was telling me even with Ford its all called Posi and I believe Posi is a GM thing and Trac-loc is a ford thing, right?

·
Registered
477 Posts
In My Honest Opinion. I think. I have heard that there is a easier chance to bust the half shafts. And yes, Posi is a GM thing, trac-lok is Ford talk.

Pat

·
Registered
477 Posts
You're welcome.

Pat

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
No, you won't break your half shafts....

BlackTbird96 said:
I need to ask cuz this has been bothering me. What does IMHO mean?

And on a technical note, With trac-loc, dont you have a greater chance of braking the half shafts?

And another question, Trac-loc is the same as Posi right? Cuz I was yelling at this ***hole where i work cuz he was telling me even with Ford its all called Posi and I believe Posi is a GM thing and Trac-loc is a ford thing, right?
with "track-loc" if you had an axle with a "Detroit locker"
that could be another story.....

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Re: No, you won't break your half shafts....

MagerThom said:

with "track-loc" if you had an axle with a "Detroit locker"
that could be another story.....
Isnt a "Detroit Locker" basically a limited slip dif. but with a little less slip?Now if you went to a spool you might break axles.You would have to have a lot of tourque to break an axle.Stock and mildly modifed 99 and up Cobras dont break them.When they start running 10s is when they break the axles because of the tourque hitting all the sudden.
I had 4:10s in my Mark and never broke an axle and that car would lauch hard on the street.I also had a trac-lok dif.
Just asking,
Chris

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
As I said..."Could" be...

another story. They were /are cantaqeous and do lock up.
Going around corners they're supposed to release but were
often known to scrub the tires. Not the best solution
on the street...

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Thats cool...

MagerThom said:
another story. They were /are cantaqeous and do lock up.
Going around corners they're supposed to release but were
often known to scrub the tires. Not the best solution
on the street...
My first car was a 79 Pinto with a 65 289.I welded the rear so it was like a spool.Going around turns and in the rain sucked.I have ridden in cars with a "Detriot Locker" and you are right about the "known to scrub tires",they do,lol.
Heres a plan.Buy the Cobra dif,buy your 3:55s,have someone swap out the 3:73s for the 3:55s,sell the 3:73s for what you paid for the 3:55s.Everything will be brand new,you got the gears you want without much lose.And you will have a trac-lok dif.
Chris

·
Registered
477 Posts
As I sat and pondered, I came up with that idea. Good to know someone else did too. Just curious-is this pumpkin the same one used in the 99+ Cobra? I saw something just like the one we are talkin about in a Year One catalog. It's called a "Cobra IRS Carrier Assembly", and it includes 3.73 gears and trac-lok for $625. The 3.55 gears cost about $180, so just swap the gear sets and sell the untouched 3.73's.

Pat

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you want 3.73s, the FRPP (Cobra) pumpkin is a great deal. You can get it from Dan Newman for $610 plus shipping. You can get the gears from a few places for about $139. If you swap out the 3.73s for some 3.55s, the money you get for the 3.73s won't even cover the cost of having a shop replace the gears. By the time you're done with it, you'll have spent almost twice what an iron pumpkin with the same internals would cost. The Cobra pumpkin is neat, but it's kind of an expensive way to shave 15 pounds.

Decy

·
Registered
157 Posts
YES Wannabesvt

wannabesvt said:
Is that a complete pumpkin w/trac-lok?

Pat
Yes 3.73 or whatever gears you want and what he has in stock, with a rebuilt Traction Lock. All installed ready to go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts