TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I look at the decal on the engine, I see the gap for AWSF-32PP plugs(which I have, with Motorcraft wires) is given as a range: 0.052-0.056

a) What's the best gap to use in aspect of idle qualtiy/power/less pinging etc?
b) is this range wide enough to cause a difference?
c) is using the smallest gap best?

(I don't know what my gap currently is, but I just want to be sure wheather there's a big difference within this range of gaps)

Would be thankful for any answers.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
people on the boards have went as far as .060
stock says .054, i currently use .056-.058

the larger the gap w/o detonation, the better. I had a very slight detonation when i gapped mine at .060, so thats why im using the range above.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
On a stock motor when you open the spark plug gap you increase the spark kernal size making the burn more efficient. Efficiency drops when you close the gap on a stock motor.

Reducing the gap may not be a good thing on stock motors. Gaping the plugs too small can cause fuel not to be completely burnt, giving you more problems.

Here are some guidelines for gaping plugs:
a. When gapping plugs always use wire gauges.
b. When increasing gap size for high performance ignition systems never go more than plus or minus 0.008".
c. With higher compression ratios, superchargers, NOX and etc smaller gaps may be used because the higher cylinder pressures require more energy to jump the gap.
d. Adjust the gap in 0.002" increments at a time. When you start to loose power go back up 0.001-0.002"

·
Registered
811 Posts
people on the boards have went as far as .060 stock says .054, i currently use .056-.058
I run the same on my 22c's, but I also run premium.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts