TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who don't know, I'm in the middle of doing a COMPLETE frame-up restoration.

The frame repair shop introduced me to a paint that all of you that live in states where they use SALT on the roads will find INVALUABLE!

It is called POR-15. It is a paint that was designed primarily for the marine industry. It is used primarily for priming and sealing ship hulls.

I got to see the product demonstration at the frame shop when the paint rep was there. They painted 2 pieces of metal. One they let air dry, and the other they sunk into a 5 Gal. bucket of water. The piece that was sunk in water dried and cured FASTER than the one left to air dry.

It is some AMAZING stuff. This stuff is THICK too. The frame shop uses this stuff as a frame sealer and undercoating. Once it dries, you either have to get the car dipped to remove it, sand blast it, or grind it to get it off. They can only get about 3 uses out of a paint spray gun when using this stuff as it cures so damn hard!

Just an FYI for those of you who want to preserve their car like I do.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's very similar to the Rhino lining, but this doesn't have the harsh rough surfacing to it.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
if the cars not preped right the stuff peals

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the car has to be cleaned of all oils, etc, and rust has to be minimum, but it is a rust inhibitor and a sealant.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
jk89cat said:
if the cars not preped right the stuff peals
That applies to any coating on any surface....

POR-15 has been used by old car restorers for a loooong time. Rust Bullet is another one that does essentially the same thing, different pros and cons for each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts