TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare one I want ported, any idea on where to send it? Will Foxlake do it?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If your going to send it somewhere, you might as well buy an aftermarket unit.

A local machine shop could do it, and probably for alot less than a race shop. I've got an extra one too, and I want to see what I can get out of it before buying an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thunderbird96 said:
call joe harder at 913-310-9898 he hid mine for 150 but that was removing mine and reinstalling it . so it will probably be a little cheaper than that the him jason jobe told you to call his website is www.harderperformance.com
thanks, but for tha money I'd rather get an accufab from Dan Newman.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
That's true, but you can ship your T-Bird plenum to them and have the work done.

·
11,719 Posts
Niether of those actually did much work. I'm talking about boring, raising, and reshaping the curve. :ztoohot:

For what those guys did, you might as well save your money and buy a C&L or Accufab unit.

·
11,719 Posts
djoc2000 said:
True but not everyone has the money for C&L or Accufab.......I mean 60 bucks is pretty cheap for the work...
$60 is expensive if you gain nothing, which is what will probably happen. Anyone claiming double digit gains from a plenum either got bad info, an improper dyno comparision, or is outright lying.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Trick Flo makes an upper plenum also for about $150 in Summit catalog----looks very similar to the Accufab unit.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
11,719 Posts
thunderbird96 said:
i gained 5hp and 8ft pounds of torque from having joe port and polish mine
Do have a dyno graph of both? I'm interested in the entire curve...

Also, is your 1/4 mile time in your sig corrected or uncorrected?

·
Registered
615 Posts
As the man said there has never been an aftermarket "elbow" that he has seen that gave more then 5-6 rwhp gain. Just throwin your car on a dyno and gettin higher numbers, doesnt say that it came from the add-on.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
thunderbird96 said:
i gained 5hp and 8ft pounds of torque from having joe port and polish mine
I'd be interested in seeing those before and after graphs as well... and knowing that there were no other intervening mods or dyno or weather conditions to affect the test. Same day, same car, same dyno, same operator, locked TC, one mod change at a time is about the only test that means anything, and even then with under 10hp difference, it doesn't tell you much, 'cause a cold dyno is different than a warm or hot one....

I had my plenum ported to match a 75mm TB by a guy in town that does custom high end head work. He charged me $110 for the port job and it was extremely well done.

When I bolted it up to my stock intake and Renegade heads/pi cams set-up, I gained about 4rwhp, and that's also going from 70mm to 75mm. The peak hp gains were negligible. However, I also gained 200 more rpm before wheeze time. My curve went from dropping off at 5000, to dropping off at 5200 and that is huge in the 1/4 mi.

It's not always peak hp gains that are important, but the shape of the curve - how quickly it peaks, where it peaks, where it ends, and the total area under it.

The big problem with our cars is not the TB or the upper plenum or the MAF size or even the heads, it's the lower intake and cams. You can put a 100mm MAF, intake tube, TB and plenum on, but the air flow is still gonna be restricted by the lower intake. The volume of air that will flow is determined by the smallest opening, not the largest, in combination with when, how long, and how far the intake and exhaust valves open.

Will you get more with a ported plenum and a bigger TB?? Yeah, on a basically stock set up you probably will get a bit, but it'll give you more when you open up the rest of the system. IMHO

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
i have the dyno sheets but how do i post them i don't have a scanner to copy them and my digital pictures come out fuzzy when i put the on my website

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
the runs where done about a week apart and the days where about 60 to 70 degrees outside the dyno was warm there were several cars that had gone before me both days

1 - 20 of 22 Posts