TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow TCCoA'ers

Just wanted to ask two quick questions.

.......................................................................................................................................

I'm not going to be doing it right now, but i do plan on switching over to 4.10 gears once i'm done setting up my drive train ("the trans mod', trans cooler, 1993 Mark VIII alum. 1pc driveshaft).

Other than on eBAY, where could I find the best price for 4.10 gears? I've been finding some prices here and there, both locally, and on the internet, but would like to find a good price on these babies.

......................................................................................................................................

I recently read the tech article about switching to a T-45 manual 5sp trans and was interested in obtaining some other information.

How heavy is a 4R70W (autotrans)?
How heavy is a T-45?
Where would I find a driveshaft for a T-45 setup? (would be different length from stock)
Would it be possible to use a Steeda adjustable clutch cable/quadrant and other Mustang equipment, or is it too short?
Would i be able to pirate off any other mustang parts for such a swap (pedals, etc)?

I know hydraulic clutches are real sweet...but i figure it's just easier to go with a mustang type clutch...plus, since they're mustang parts, they should be everywhere... i think...

heh

take care, and thank you for any responses.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry to say but very little Mustang stuff will work on the T-bird. The only pedal that will work is one from a SC as the Mustag one is on a common rod that the brake pedal mounts on. You may be able to get the steeda cable to work with a SC pedal but the SC pedal box is made for a master cyl. so you will need to modify it for a cable. The clutch and fly wheel
from a Mustang will work. The T-45 is a little bit lighter than a 4R70W but not much.
The drive shaft will have to be shortend and depending on the T-45 you get you might have to get a new slip yoke. I have heard the T-45 has either a 32 or 28 spline out put shaft depending on if its from a cobra or mustang GT. One more thing ...make sure the T-45 has a gear drive speedo and not the magnetic ones that they now use.
hope this helps. The swap is alot of work BUT it feels like 50 more HP and IMO is well worth the sweat and tears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts