TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to dive into the dreaded rack and pinion replacement and been doing some research on the best reman rack and pinion to use. From what I found the auto zone r&ps are junk and tend to leak, also the same for the A-1 Cardone brand. I checked rockauto but couldnt find a motorcraft r&p. So my question is, what other brand have people had good experiences with or where can I find a motorcraft r&p.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'd go with NAPA.
They offer only one choice, they sell to pro shops, and the warranty is LT. Others I could find is 36 mos. it's hard to find NEW
Plus they are really specific about what is done in the rebuild

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd go with NAPA.
They offer only one choice, they sell to pro shops, and the warranty is LT. Others I could find is 36 mos. it's hard to find NEW
Plus they are really specific about what is done in the rebuild
Napa uses A1 Cardone. From the research Ive done just by searching on here and sccoa, those tend to leak.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Napa uses A1 Cardone. From the research Ive done just by searching on here and sccoa, those tend to leak.
You know it's always kind of funny when it's easy to find reviews of the bad suppliers but really tough to find recommendations for good ones. I did a search under a couple different phrases...
And I find it really hard to believe NAPA is selling crap with a LT warr. Like I said, that's where shops get theirs.. right?
So you tell me when a shop has to eat the labor on a warranty, then where are they GETTING their product.. hmmmmm? Since they really dont have time to wait for shipping.
.. but whatever...
Try these guys, then:
http://shop.rackdoctor.net/THUNDERBIRD_c160.htm

They say all the right things
http://shop.rackdoctor.net/aboutus.sc

and the price is certainly right.

Look, if you want, I can find out where the best shop in my area gets theirs.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Ive installed quite a few racks .. from Pep boys, Kragens, AUtozone, Supercoupe performance, etc ... dont remember who made what. Didnt seem to have any issues with either of them .. the one that started leaking had physical damage from the tie rods being bent too far. They were all re-manufactured with the original Ford rack, ford F0 or E9 part number on them ..

The last one I did was an autozone one, I thought it was a Cardone also. Before that I had a couple from SCP - they were drop shipped from Prior re-manufacturing in Texas. Theirs was packaged better than the Autozone one but other than that I cant tell what seals they put inside .. Again, installed them about a year ago and no leaks from the rack. I also highly recommend having the cars aligned immediately after installation.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know it's always kind of funny when it's easy to find reviews of the bad suppliers but really tough to find recommendations for good ones. I did a search under a couple different phrases...
And I find it really hard to believe NAPA is selling crap with a LT warr. Like I said, that's where shops get theirs.. right?
So you tell me when a shop has to eat the labor on a warranty, then where are they GETTING their product.. hmmmmm? Since they really dont have time to wait for shipping.
.. but whatever...
Try these guys, then:
http://shop.rackdoctor.net/THUNDERBIRD_c160.htm

They say all the right things
http://shop.rackdoctor.net/aboutus.sc

and the price is certainly right.

Look, if you want, I can find out where the best shop in my area gets theirs.
Im not saying Napa sells crap because thats where I used to go before I found about rockauto (same product, cheaper price). I just want to get a high quality rack so I dont have to reinstall it if its defective, and not be compensated the labor.

I was a service writer at a shop so I know where the best parts are coming from. In my specific situation (every shop is different)...

High Quality-
Dealer, Worldpac

Mid Quality-
Fast Undercar, Napa

Lower Quality-
Autozone, CSK

Shops have the ability to file labor claims if the part is defective, that way they get a replacement part and compensated the labor for installing the new part. We used to file a bunch of these with AZ.

And your right, it is hard to find good recommendations for parts and thats the purpose of this thread.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive installed quite a few racks .. from Pep boys, Kragens, AUtozone, Supercoupe performance, etc ... dont remember who made what. Didnt seem to have any issues with either of them .. the one that started leaking had physical damage from the tie rods being bent too far. They were all re-manufactured with the original Ford rack, ford F0 or E9 part number on them ..

The last one I did was an autozone one, I thought it was a Cardone also. Before that I had a couple from SCP - they were drop shipped from Prior re-manufacturing in Texas. Theirs was packaged better than the Autozone one but other than that I cant tell what seals they put inside .. Again, installed them about a year ago and no leaks from the rack. I also highly recommend having the cars aligned immediately after installation.
From what I found, AZ used to use ATSCO but Im not sure anymore. If it is A-1 cardone then AZ has the best deal. Im going to see if I can track down which manufacturer AZ uses now.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I've used two "remaned" autozone units, they were both ATSCO the first one leaked from the internal rack seals into the boots/bellows upon initial start up. The second lasted 4 months or so, approx 2500 miles. I gave up and eventually I replaced it with a ford unit from a junkyard, which lasted 2 years before I scrapped the car due to motor, trans, and body issues. To be honest your betters off buying a low mileage non-leaking ford rack from a junkyard and painting it black with spray paint. It would look the same as the ATSCO unit and probably last the same amount of time or longer and cost a third of the price. I know it's expensive, but if you can find one and afford it buy a motorcraft unit.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,602 Posts
I've used two "remaned" autozone units, they were both ATSCO the first one leaked from the internal rack seals into the boots/bellows upon initial start up. The second lasted 4 months or so, approx 2500 miles. I gave up and eventually I replaced it with a ford unit from a junkyard, which lasted 2 years before I scrapped the car due to motor, trans, and body issues. To be honest your betters off buying a low mileage non-leaking ford rack from a junkyard and painting it black with spray paint. It would look the same as the ATSCO unit and probably last the same amount of time or longer and cost a third of the price. I know it's expensive, but if you can find one and afford it buy a motorcraft unit.
Which is pretty much what 99.999% of all parts store reman junk I've ever seen is, only with key parts replaced with elcheapo junk.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Autozone's duralast rack and pinion has the same part number as the ATSCO brand on rockauto, so Im assuming their still the same. I cant find a reman. Motorcraft one anywhere, Roackauto does have a acdelco one, which I might consider.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Apparently Motorcraft doesn't make them anymore I searched for one awhile back and can only find parts. Maybe if you can get the part number of the assembly and search by that you may find one someone still has on the shelf somewhere. Other than that it's all reman.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
My last one on the orange 94 was a Motorcraft. I have installed many acdelco, A1, and motorcraft racks through the years. I have had one of the autozone ones (I think it was cardone) that my friend wanted to use on his Lexus. It would make knocking sounds entering parking lots. Man that was hard to chase down, but it did all start after the rack install. We got a replacement and it was all good.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up going with the ACDelco unit. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
My last one on the orange 94 was a Motorcraft. I have installed many acdelco, A1, and motorcraft racks through the years. I have had one of the autozone ones (I think it was cardone) that my friend wanted to use on his Lexus. It would make knocking sounds entering parking lots. Man that was hard to chase down, but it did all start after the rack install. We got a replacement and it was all good.

My buddy needs the Rack replaced in his Lexus .... The Autozone / Cardone one still costs about $460+tax ... for that much $$ it better not leak, make noises, and come with a lifetime warranty.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The last time I was going to replace a rack, I had someone replace the inner tie rod ends, and it feels perfect now. I had already replaced the outers.

Dude said I was a perfectionist; there was only 0.100"play in it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i need to replace mine, so please post how the acdelco unit is.
Only had it in for a few days now but so far so good, still need to get an alignment.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,602 Posts
The last time I was going to replace a rack, I had someone replace the inner tie rod ends, and it feels perfect now. I had already replaced the outers.

Dude said I was a perfectionist; there was only 0.100"play in it... :rolleyes:
Unless the rack is physically damaged I'd always do the same. There isn't that much that can wear out on the rack that can't be replaced separately.

·
Registered
513 Posts
how hard to replace unit? Ive never replaced rack and pinion before. Any pointers? what about any bushings ? Thanks for any advice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts