TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install my amp today on my 94 TB and wanted to know what is the best route to take the power wire to trunk.I cant seem to find any holes on car that I can use threw firewall.Do I have to make my own hole?If I do where should I drill?I don't want to use the door route.Thank you for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
799 Posts
i cut a small hole in the rubber seal that the steering goes through and then ran mine under the kick panel and under the lower scuff plate for the door and followed out to the trunk... but i got mine out at the moment..

·
Registered
799 Posts
I was having some charging issues and took it all out,,, come to find out my battery was bad...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thru the steering grommet is the route I took thru the firewall but I then went under the center console and under the carpet to get to the trunk. My door speakers run off of amps as well so I used the sill plates to hide the speaker wire coming from the back. You don't want to run signal wire and power wire in the same place. My RCAs run under the passenger sill plate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i cut a small hole in the rubber seal that the steering goes through and then ran mine under the kick panel and under the lower scuff plate for the door and followed out to the trunk...
ditto

·
Registered
197 Posts
weird I went through a grommet over near the a/c so it's on the passenger side. It is right near the glove box. Then I ran it under the carpet on the passenger side through the two channels that are under the carpet on each side of the car. Then came into and under the back seat (plenty of room for the slack if any) and then through in the trunk. I just had a board carpeted and made up for me (should of did it myself) and it looks great and works great. The ideas on the board where nice and I like them but I think I would of done a few things different.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Drivers side fender

I have 1/0 Gauge in my car.
I have no photobucket for pics. Very easy routing though.

Wire runs from battery positive, forward through the rad support next to the rad.
Runs behind left headlight, then along the length of the fender, between inner fender and fender. Wire exits the fender, and runs through a decent sized hole in the front of the door frame which comes out under the drivers side kick panel.
This hole is easy to find, it is above the door wires, below the top hinge, and a couple of inches forward of both. Go and take a look on your own car.

once you are under the kick panel, the wiring channel under there has plenty of room for 1/0 gauge, so smaller wire is not a problem.

EDIT.. I just noticed that you don't want to do the door route, I didn't read your whole post I guess. It IS the easiest way to run it in my opinion.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used the wire from the factory amp...it was there so why not?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just don't want to see the red wire every time I open the door,that's just me,I put the wire threw the steering gourmet and it was very easy and cant see wire at all.I routed power wire on drivers side and RCA's and amp lead on passenger side.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
you really need to look to see the wire? :confused:

My wire is bright blue.. and i have NEVER seen it getting into or out of the car.. but then again, i don't look into that area every time i get into or out of my car:rolleyes:

·
Registered
197 Posts
my wire is completely hidden besides looking under the hood and I am not worried about that. I had it setup the same way for at least 5 years. Then I took it apart and re hooked it up the same way. Works flawless but now I am just tweaking the filter settings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Drivers side fender

I have 1/0 Gauge in my car.
I have no photobucket for pics. Very easy routing though.

Wire runs from battery positive, forward through the rad support next to the rad.
Runs behind left headlight, then along the length of the fender, between inner fender and fender. Wire exits the fender, and runs through a decent sized hole in the front of the door frame which comes out under the drivers side kick panel.
This hole is easy to find, it is above the door wires, below the top hinge, and a couple of inches forward of both. Go and take a look on your own car.

once you are under the kick panel, the wiring channel under there has plenty of room for 1/0 gauge, so smaller wire is not a problem.

EDIT.. I just noticed that you don't want to do the door route, I didn't read your whole post I guess. It IS the easiest way to run it in my opinion.
any chance u can post pics?

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
Disclaimer: If you cut your wire harness or otherwise damage your car that's on you. I assume no liability for this tutorial.

I ran a 4 Gauge around the battery, behind the left headlight and under the drivers side wheel well. Pull the left front tire and drop the splash guard. There's plenty of room there. I drilled a hole just under the E-brake cable and into the drivers side foot well and installed a grommet. *Make sure to remove the airbag sensor that's in that location before drilling! When I punched through the sheet-metal, had I not removed it first, I'd have pierced it with the drill bit for sure.

Run the wire and reinstall the sensor. The bracket that the sensor is mounted to is held in place by two bolts - They're 5/16" or 8mm.

The other option is that there is a factory grommet in the location that blueMN12 mentioned just above the top drivers side door hinge but if you run a wire through there it's going to be visible when the door is open.

Remove the door sill and foot well trim pieces. Take care not to damage or lose the foot well trim piece push pin. CAREFULLY cut the sound insulation piece along the base of the hood release cable **being careful not to cut the wire harness. The insulation piece is secured at the top up under the dash and you can't really pull it out in one piece. I just cut mine. You'll need to remove the insulation to get to the cavity.

Once that's out of the way remove the airbag sensor and you'll have room to work. Once the wire is in place run it over the top of the airbag sensor bracket and down to the wire tray under the carpet along the driver's side door back to the trunk. I ran a 4GA wire myself and it was tight. I don't know how much room there will be to run anything bigger. 4GA is plenty for most applications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts