TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
8,009 Posts
Are you planning to retain the NPI heads? What emissions tests are you required to pass in your location?

·
The Parts Guy
8,009 Posts
The cams you're able to run will depend on which stock heads we're talking about.

If you need a PD blower arrangement that is still sold today, you could look at adapting/fitting up a Tork Tech or Kenne Bell kit.

If you hunt around, you can still turn up the old SVO and AED kits.

"Best" is a relative term. Far more info needs to be shared to truly determine what is "best" for your situation. Power/performance goals, budget, ability to modify/fabricate parts, ability to adjust the tune file, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cams you're able to run will depend on which stock heads we're talking about.

If you need a PD blower arrangement that is still sold today, you could look at adapting/fitting up a Tork Tech or Kenne Bell kit.

If you hunt around, you can still turn up the old SVO and AED kits.

"Best" is a relative term. Far more info needs to be shared to truly determine what is "best" for your situation. Power/performance goals, budget, ability to modify/fabricate parts, ability to adjust the tune file, etc.
It's a completely stock 4.6l 2V in a 97 cougar. We are planning on stripping the engine down to the block and do a rebuild and add a bigger cam plus a supercharger. If I need different heads then I can go that route as well.

·
The Parts Guy
8,009 Posts
PI heads, or even better, a set of Trickflow heads, would certainly help output. That said, the '97 heads can accept far better cams than the '94-'95 heads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PI heads, or even better, a set of Trickflow heads, would certainly help output. That said, the '97 heads can accept far better cams than the '94-'95 heads.
I've been researching the npi and pi heads. I most likely have npi heads on my engine. Pi heads, bigger cam and a supercharger should pep my car up a bit.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,278 Posts
PI heads won’t offer much to any gain for their flow characteristics over npi on a NA setup but with forced induction the extra flow through the exhaust ports in particular will be beneficial. For what it costs for new pistons, rods, bearings, machining you’ll be doing to beef up the bottom end for boost you may as well throw on good heads, ideally trick flow or ported PIs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PI heads won’t offer much to any gain for their flow characteristics over npi on a NA setup but with forced induction the extra flow through the exhaust ports in particular will be beneficial. For what it costs for new pistons, rods, bearings, machining you’ll be doing to beef up the bottom end for boost you may as well throw on good heads, ideally trick flow or ported PIs
I am putting in a bigger cam for the supercharger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.