TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 9" cone filter and a sheet of plexiglass to make a heatsheild for it. How should I cut it? It is only like 1/8" thick. I am trying to make it similar to AndyR's setup. He did a great job on his! Anyone have the dimensions of it?

Oh and 1 more question, can you screw into plexiglass? or drill into it?

Here is what Andy's lookd like:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ive got a template to one that I was going to make but its not the square one like the on ein the pictures. I was going to make something like the GT airbox. If you heat plexiglass just right you can bend it farely easly and will still be clear. Ill try to scan the template and post it if you would like me 2.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great if you could do that!

·
The Parts Guy
7,342 Posts
I've always used a tablesaw or bandsaw to cut plexiglass with. You can definitely drill through plexiglass as well.

-Rod

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you have a router get a bit with a roller guide.

Use thick double faced tape to attach your template to the masked plexiglass, (would Lexan be better?)

Use gloves and always move the material toward the rotation of the router bit.

Use the router to cut the material to shape.

Seperate the masking from the template.

If your going to bend:

Get a linear heating element longer than your material.

Remove the masking from the area of the bend.

Carefully heat while holding the plastic under light tension to determine when it is warm enough to bend. Too cold = cracks. Too hot = burning/discoloration.

Once warm enough make your bend. Have something to measure the angle available since you only have a few seconds to bend.

After bending but before removing the rest of the masking measure and pre-drill any holes required for screws.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You don't want to screw right into it..you'll want to drill a pilot hole about 1/16th of inch smaller then your screw size. It loos as though Andy drilled the holes the same size, and used machine screws and a nut, which is better if your going to be taking it on and off, as it won't strip the screws.

You don't need a shield if you put the filter in the fender.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For cuting i would recomend making a line with a pen on the paper thing that protects the finish on the plexi, and the passing over it with an exacto knife. The pu it in a bench vise, and hit the piece you want to keep, it should break of, and give you a better looking cut than cutting it with a saw or router, or anything else. Now if you want the sides to be shiny, heat them up with a torch, for very short times. Heat, look at it, then heat again, until it's just like you want it. If you heat it too much, it will sag, change color, and make bubbles. My dad told that was the best way of doing plexi, he learned that a bomberdier finishing center for private jets. It's the technic they use to make 30 million dollar interiors for the jets, so it must be nice looking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts