TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Sometime soon in the future, I like to get Cobra wheels or similar 5-spoke "star" style wheels for my 97 Sport Tbird.
right now I have OEM 16" sport wheels, and 235/60/16 tires.

This car will NOT be lowered.
The wheels/tires are for cosmetic purposes only really.

What I want is a larger wheel/tire combo that would eliminate/fill the fender gap as much as it can without rubbing or other mishaps.
I don't really care if they are 17" or 18", as long as they are available in Cobra or similar style with tbird bolt pattern

So what Size (17" / 18") wheels and Their respective tire sizes are combined to fill the fender gap best? (on a NON lowered stock Tbird [sport package])

Thanx.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
17x7.5 to 17x9 with 255/50-17's all the way around. They're 27" tall and fill out the wheelwells VERY nicely.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, sir William.

so you don't think I'd run into problems like this?:

I've got 255/50/17's on Superior Scoundrel (Cobra "R") 17x7.5" wheels. Only clearance problem was between the tire and the upper balljoint bolt. I ground the bold down so it would clear and haves had no clearance issues other than rubbing on my aftermarket oil filter lines. Moved those out of the way, and haven't had any problems.
His car looks great with those tires though...

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I did have to do that on mine, but it takes less than 30 minutes. Well worth the effort and ZERO negative issues from it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again,

so 245/50/17 wouldn't do the job as well? will there be a lot of fender gap with that size?

if yes, what, in your opinion, be the next best thing after 255/50/17 which doesn't require any alterations ?
(sorry for the very basic "?"s; I'm quite new to this area, and not very good at DIY)

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
The alteration can be done with a simple hand file if need be. You just have to round over the end of the upper ball joint stud. It's not absolutely necessary, but if not, you won't be able to turn the wheel to full lock while backing up without it rubbing on the upper edge of the inside of the front tire.

The 245/50 isn't a bad size, but for what it takes, the 255/50 is better. And since you have to have the wheels off to replace them anyway, just round over the stud while it's off. Voila.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot.

It seems that the 245/50/17 tires are about 26.8" tall, so I guess as far as filling the gap, it does the job pretty good, too...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts