TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son despises Best Buy.. I dont share in that because BB does its share in keeping Consumer Electronics prices down. But it's hard to argue much when you see things like this:

AudioQuest - Diamond 3.3' High-Speed HDMI Cable - Dark Gray/Black $1,095.99

On the other hand, it is entirely possible that BB just included the product for entertainment reasons. Read the freakin reviews.. Amazon punkers got nothing on these guys.

Here's what I find is funny as hell:
This HDMI cable features a Dielectric-Bias System that reduces distortion and 100% Perfect-Surface Silver conductors for improved signal clarity. The Direct-Silver-plated HDMI connectors provide a simple connection and durability.
Silver Connectors?!!!! Totally fitting considering the target market! If you're stupid enough to pay $1000 for a cable, you're stupid enough to think silver connectors are a good thing.

Ralph will appreciate this, maybe. My own personal observation on why you never see silver plated connectors:

In the mid to late sixties, Control Data Corporation built high end computers and the very fastest and best Mag tape drive to date. If you watch old sixties TV and movies and there's a whiz-bang 'computer' setting and you see two side by side tape reels over two glass columns in a cabinet that is a CDC tape drive.
Only one problem: As they aged they became very unreliable. Not the mechanics, that was rock-solid. And usually not transistor failure.
Hundreds of small circuit boards each containing 6 to 8 transistors {pre-integrated circuit} for some reason using silver instead of gold plate, on the connector pins.
Refurbishing used CDC equippment consisted mainly of soaking black tarnish from the connectors. Anyone who has ever used tarnish remover on silverware can see the problem.

_________________________________________________________________________​

Added: Forbes: Why Best Buy is Going out of Business...Gradually

Everyone I know who knows anything about consumer electronics -and some who don't- have been complaining about this BS for years. Yet Best Buy just keeps on with it.
- counterpoint: My tv which I bought for my dad, before he passed on, was the result of an 'upsell' Went in looking for 32" in $600 range ended up with Samsung for $900. That was a good thing - great tv.

My aforementioned son, who builds gaming and Media Center PC's for a hobby, buys everything from Newegg.

·
Super Moderator
9,179 Posts
:facepalm: ... Just... just... :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts
LOL Just click to the customer reviews and start reading... :tongue:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just wait for the sucker that is like, "Well this think looks to tickle everyone's fancy, I'll try it out myself!" and then plug it in and its no different than a regular HDMI except the 5 year warranty. I mean come on 75 out of 82 people would recommend it to a friend :tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
You guys are nerds, but I see your point. Oh, solder is mostly silver :zdunno:

;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

;)
Uh.. not the same thing. Silver tarnishes, Lead tarnishes, tin even tarnishes. Silver, lead and tin alloy does not tarnish -as fast. Ask a chemist why, I just know that by observation.

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts
Copper baby! It doesn't get any better.

Depending on what you're doing ... Fiber optics is a whole other animal.

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts

;)
Actually, no.

"Silver solder" is 56% silver, yes. However, that's for jewelry. Electronic solder is more like 3% silver.

As long as I can use the tin/lead variant (where silver isn't required), I'm still using 60/40 (or my personal stock of 63/37).

RwP

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
After reading the reviews, I put one in my cart....

It's how I roll.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Actually, no.

"Silver solder" is 56% silver, yes. However, that's for jewelry. Electronic solder is more like 3% silver.

As long as I can use the tin/lead variant (where silver isn't required), I'm still using 60/40 (or my personal stock of 63/37).

RwP
The solder I use for my electronics is 60/40 rosin core (a couple of big rolls last me forever). I didn't even know they made a 3% silver for electronics!

I was only kidding about the solder thing anyways, cause I knew it'd get a rise out of you! I know about the silver solder thing, that's why I said it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I work for Comcast and I have a fair amount of experience with these things pic quality and such with my specialty being fiber optics. And I will tell you this, if anyone wastes money paying more than 20 bucks for ANY kind of cable to "improve" pic quality is wasting money and keeping the extreme absurdity of this cycle continuing. Gte a cable that has ends on it that match the 2 devices and plug it in. I've had them every configuration of every tv cable gaming system projectors all of it it doesn't matter. Taking a supposed low quality cable and switching it for a supposed high quality cable is an absolute waste of time and money. The differences in pic quality frame rate transfer audio qualities are so minute its not worth it. But to each their own I suppose, it is a free country afterall. After reading the customer reviews I get the feeling this may be another 3 wolf t-shirt type incident lol.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I work for Comcast and I have a fair amount of experience with these things pic quality and such with my specialty being fiber optics. And I will tell you this, if anyone wastes money paying more than 20 bucks for ANY kind of cable to "improve" pic quality is wasting money and keeping the extreme absurdity of this cycle continuing. Gte a cable that has ends on it that match the 2 devices and plug it in. I've had them every configuration of every tv cable gaming system projectors all of it it doesn't matter. Taking a supposed low quality cable and switching it for a supposed high quality cable is an absolute waste of time and money. The differences in pic quality frame rate transfer audio qualities are so minute its not worth it. But to each their own I suppose, it is a free country afterall. After reading the customer reviews I get the feeling this may be another 3 wolf t-shirt type incident lol.
hahaha awesome the read that. My roommate worked at best best during the very beginning of DVDs invasion and the cables then were not even 1k. Maybe a coupe hundred at most for the fancy little fiber optic cable that was very new tech. Other than that example I cant imagine anything being work that much ever. LOL BB paid someone to type up those reviews or somthing LOL. I laughed at them cause it was like a joke and then punchline is the people buying a SILVER cable. Diamonds ???? I thought those were a girls best friend.

·
Super Moderator
9,179 Posts
Yeah, all my HDMI cables are the $6 ebay or amazon deals. TV looks juuuust fine. :D

BTW that Forbes read about the failures of "Best" Buy was great. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Wait, don't tell me! Are you saying the $100+ monster cables I have connecting my video / audio components aren't better than your $6 cables?

·
3,868 Posts
Monster cables are fine if you have a concert level system I think they are worth it at that point. But for the average person with anything less than a huge stereo/visual set up its not worth it, but if you happen to have them fall off the back of a truck then its definitely worth it. My gripe is with cable durability, monster cables are pretty damn durable.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
"What's not so great: Package is hard to open"

That is awesome :) nice link

·
3,868 Posts
"What's not so great: Package is hard to open"

That is awesome :) nice link
Price is the least of my concern in this slowed down economy Id buy it but that packaging is a deal breaker for me :D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Monster cables are fine if you have a concert level system I think they are worth it at that point. But for the average person with anything less than a huge stereo/visual set up its not worth it, but if you happen to have them fall off the back of a truck then its definitely worth it. My gripe is with cable durability, monster cables are pretty damn durable.
Thats what I like to call nail on the head right there...unless your running a full on $100k type professional system with Mozart and Beethoven giving you feedback on your system, all that crazy fancy expensive stuff doesn't amount to a hill of beans. The avergae guy, and I consider myself above average for eyes and ears on a/v gear doesnt need all that. But like I've said before, this is just my opinion, and we all know what that amounts too....

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The best review I found on there, I was crying I was laughing so hard:

My wife requested a diamond chain for Christmas, but I couldn't find anything acceptable for less than $2000. Therefore, I was thrilled when I stumbled across this AudioQuest Diamond 3.3' High-Speed HDMI Cable - Dark Gray/Black for the low price of only $1,095! I quickly placed my order and took advantage of the 36 month special financing.
My wife opened this Christmas morning, and was understandably blown away! I've never gotten a reaction like that for a present before.
This diamond cable looks beautiful around her neck. The best part is that I can also use it to view Planet Earth in HD on my 15" CRT when she's not wearing it. What a fabulous product!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts