TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm putting a 408 & c6 & 8.8 rear on my bird... what are the suspension options do i have??? it WILL be a daily driver, i do drag race, i do autocross it.....need a good all around suspension... wut should i get?

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
Do you want to drop it or keep stock height? How much do you want to spend on it? The cheapest option for a drastic improvement in handling is SC or sport springs (can be had for about $80-100) and 96 tbird sport front shocks with either stock or 03 cobra convertible rear shocks. My 94 has the sport front/stock rear setup with SC springs, and I really like the way it handles.

Mike

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have some Sport springs if you want to go that route...85 shipped.

Russell

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
here's a radical thought if you are a do it urselfer but spend the money on a frame kit with 4 link and a shortned 9 inch with coil springs. if you can do the work urself you can save a lot of cash. here's the company i work for's website which will give you an idea on parts. Dave

http://www.quickperformance.com/

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
jeleighlover said:
do want to lower it a bit..... got round $2g's to spend on suspension
In that case, eibach springs, bilstein shocks, addco front and rear sway bars, some 17x9 rims with some sticky tires, probably some money left over, and close to 1.0G's in the skidpad.

Mike

PS. When you do the engine swap, make sure to move the motor back in the engine bay and lower it a bit. This will also help with handling by lowering the cars center of gravity and giving the car some better weight distribution.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
MadMikeyL said:
In that case, eibach springs, bilstein shocks, addco front and rear sway bars, some 17x9 rims with some sticky tires, probably some money left over, and close to 1.0G's in the skidpad.

Mike
I thought the Bilsteins were discontinued?

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
I thought the Bilsteins were discontinued?
Maybe they were, I don't know. I'm happy with my sport shocks, so I haven't really looked into it recently.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
jeleighlover said:
thanx for the tip.... how do i lower motor??? where can i buy all these suspension parts???
Well the way I did it was flip the top plates to opposite sides and that will move the motor back about an inch, and then instead of using the stock mounts I drilled holes through 4 hockey pucks and put a bolt through the bottom bracket, 2 pucks, then the top plate. This way it's as strong as the bolt, but it still isolates the vibrations. Plus it only cost me $4! The other method would be to fab up some solid metal mounts but that would cost more and transfer more vibration into the passenger compartment.

Mike

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
As far as I know, the Bilstein shocks were discontinued a couple years ago. Koni adjustables are a good option but run about $500-600 for a set.

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
SloMo228 said:
As far as I know, the Bilstein shocks were discontinued a couple years ago. Koni adjustables are a good option but run about $500-600 for a set.
well he said he wants to spend $2K on suspension, so $600 for shocks isn't out of the question by those standards.

Mike

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
so.. i couldnt find this... what do the birds pull lateral stock?.. the lx...

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I don't know if there is something that will fit the front, but in the rear you can put 03 Cobra convertible shocks (they are Bilsteins) or use rear shocks from a 97 Crown Vic from Bilstein.

·
Registered
789 Posts
sinhumane said:
so.. i couldnt find this... what do the birds pull lateral stock?.. the lx...
IIRC its a .83 or .87. Either way the LX is the same as the new v6 Mustang. IRS does make a differance.:tongue:

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts