TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to put this in the ghetto thread but A. this deserves it's own thread <strike>to mock it</strike>, and B. I'm sure someone <strike>blind</strike> would defend the talent it took to kreat such a kool kar.

Brought to us by ebay for the low low price of $55,000 (who needs a GT350 for less???).

1949 FORD WOODIE BARRIS KUSTOM. Started life as a 1998 Mercury Cougar. Now it is the COUGAR WOODIE 2050. The GEORGE BARRIS creation was introduced at the 1999 Grand National Roadster Show. Complete front-end from 1950 Ford. Grille shell from 1950 Merc panel. Center is hand-carved & stretched Gold leaf BARRIS Crest. Head lights are English Lucas tri-beam. 1950 Ford Station Wagon rear body installed. Completely fabricated to fit undercarriage suspension and flooring. Front doors and top formed into the flooring section. Corvette finned and ribbed sidepipes. Wood hand-formed and stained side oak with round pegs. Exterior paint- Gold Pearl-of-Essence, 40 coats. Sprayed flowing-sequence of gold flake. Push button on Can-over Air Suspension. Gold Anodized foot and gas pedals. Colorado Custom Wheels ' Severance' style with oak spoke inlay. DASH IS SIGNED BY GEORGE BARRIS!! PAXTON SUPER CHARGER 4.6 L V8, 4 Speed Auto Trans. 13,660 MILES. Many other details that GEORGE BARRIS the maker of the ORIGINAL BAT MOBILE is known for. REASONABLE TRADES CONSIDERED CALL 313-350-3400

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-CUSTOM-1949-ford-george-barris-kustom-cougar-woodie-2050-/191487627063?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c958d4f37&item=191487627063&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Ah George Barris, creator of such fine Ford based kars such as the subtle Lincoln Bugazzi, what a genuine talent.

Ah what a finely krafted emblem, I believe that's duplicolor gold paint around the glued together Peugeot emblems! Fancy! Unfortunately, one Kriticism I have is it's a little too french now, how am I to be sure this kar was actually built in southern Kalifornia by such a legend???

Ah that's better, and what a tasteful, high quality, not to mention well thought out execution. It must have taken at least half of 5th grade art klass to make that beautiful piece!

Let's have a look at the rest of this masterpiece shall we?

A little low, would hate to damage that finely krafted koach work and kustom TOTALLY FUNCTIONAL side pipes, let's ask the portly owner to step out...

Ah much better.

Normally I'm not a fan of wheel rivets since they tend to be non functional, but not these!

Genuine rivets holding genuine wood. This is practically a Rolls Royce, what a bargain!

I've also seen a lot of Easyrod konversions before but they never made the MN12 platform resemble anything this perfectly. I mean this is the spitting image of.....

A Buick Park Avenue Wagon.

Nailed it! Excellent Job George!

And wait until you see inside, it's equally unrecognizable!

Doesn't look like a Kougar dash at all, I mean that is one hell of a tan spray paint! Those seat Kovers resemble genuine winter jacket padding too, super komfy I bet!

And look at the low miles!

Other great news is with the kustom 98BA760895 vin number you know it's accurate!

Not that it matters since 1998 Kougars have neither the oil burning issues of the 94/5s nor the cracking issues of the plastic intake on the 96/7s. As you can see the little known 98 models reverted back to the excellent 94/5 aluminum intake ;)

So whose gonna step up and buy in for this? SCCoA has the AWD SC, this can be our ultimate club car:D

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Where did the shocks go?

·
&#775;
3,702 Posts
I can't say that I blame George Barris 100% for this monstrosity..I'm sure this is exactly what the owner asked for.. :rolleyes:

What a POS! :facepalm:

Rayo..

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Where's the supercharger?

Possibly with the front shocks.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
One word... NO

Shocks are simple that's the design for a 1998 Cougar.

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts
I would make a comment, but the last unknown person I wished to die in a Fire did, so, I'm paranoid, lol.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Cool idea, bad execution...I'm a bit of a station wagon fanboy. The roof line works for me, but the back end doesn't flow at all...and the front is just terrible.

I'm guessing the thing is on bags too...judging from the various ride heights of the front and back.

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts
If I were going to recreate a Station Wagon, a unibody chassis would be my Last choice. :facepalm:

A Chevy truck of 70's vintage would be my start point; make it a freakin' Woody.

:D

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Barfmobile. I wish my odometer read so low. That about all I envy with this project.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I think it's kind of cool! In a Griswold sort of way :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
The roof line and side view looks pretty cool Evan the back looks good.
The front end is terrible. I can't believe they didn't buy custom carpet floor mats the cheap work truck floor mats shouldn't be in a. Show car. The 1980 sheep skin seats are horrible.
I am curious what they did to the front suspension. In the engine pics the shocks are missing and they didn't bother to fill the holes

·
Registered
22 Posts
If they wanted a buik roadmaster so bad, I think it would have been easier to just buy one than create on out of a cougar ffs

·
Registered
253 Posts
Anybody see the old Chrysler lions in the emblem, brings me back to 70's Chrysler C bodies like the Imperial and Newyorker. The car itself is definitely unique, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
anybody notice the greasy dirty cam cover on the oil fill side in the photo? They couldn't at least clean it up first?

I didn't notice the Buick Roadmaster roof, glass on the roof, roof rack until now...the more I look at it, the more it has like a late 70s over done Family Truckster sort of thing going on...I like the initial concept of this thing, and I could swear somebody posted a link to a page where that car was being designed and built a few years back...but that car is just way too much sugar in the oatmeal to the point of diabetic clumping, so, it just won't work.

·
&#775;
3,702 Posts
You know how when you look at the ugliest thing long enough you can usually find a redeeming feature..Well sometimes.. :tongue:

The Wiper Cowls are actually pretty decent..I would consider painting a set after looking at these..

UV light just destroys these things over time..At least with a coat a paint..That would lessen the chances of them warping, and cracking like they always do..

Pronounced per-sho.. :D

Rayo..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts