TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to everyone's thoughts on these 2 brands of tires. I'm looking at the 245-60-15 and was curious what everyone thought of the Cooper Cobra's and the BF Goodrich Radial TA's

I have some cooper's on my F150 and I love them but i have never messed with the cobra's so I was hoping to get yall's thoughts

·
Registered
623 Posts
I used to have Radial TAs that were mounted on fanblades in 215/70/15s. I liked the tires a lot. I also have mounted many sets of Cobras. For the most part the Cobras seemed to wear well and perform well for those who bought them. The only problems I saw with them were a handful of belt separations (big egg in the tread). These problems occured only on vans and were probably the result of underinflation and overloading. I think that you would be happy with either, I would.

Before I obtained my sport wheels I was thinking about just slapping some 235 or 245 Cobras on my fanblades. Since I worked at a shop that also sold tires i test fit both sizes on my rims just to see what they looked like (slow afternoon). My impressions were that the 235s weren't that beefy looking and a little on the short side (increased fender gap). The 245s looked a little ridiculous on 6.5" wheels. Did they mount up fine? Yes, but the sidewalls were extremely sucked in at the bead and just did not look right. You probably would not have any problems with this setup, but after viewing the results I promptly located sport wheels (I was on a budget). You also may have a problem finding a shop that will mount that size tire on that size wheel.

Good Luck!

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
i have now gone through one set of bfg's and one set of cooper cobra's and when they were worn out, i had purchased the bfg's again.

-better traction on dry, wet, and snow with the bfg's, however i think the coopers lasted longer (little harder rubber) but that explains why traction suffers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's guys I'm just trying to see what others that have ran those 2 brands think , I'm partial to the Coopers because I have a set of the Cooper Zeon ltz's on my truck . I'm gonna try to find some pics of the 235's and 245's on a bird

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think that Coopers are very good tires and are often overlooked in favor of more expensive and often lesser tires. I would take Coopers over Goodyears any day of the week. If I still worked at a shop I would mount some tires up to take pictures. I hope you don't think I was bashing your plans of 245s, I just wanted to share my opinion since I fairly recently mounted those up for the same reason. Definitely find some pictures though to help in your decision.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that Coopers are very good tires and are often overlooked in favor of more expensive and often lesser tires. I would take Coopers over Goodyears any day of the week. If I still worked at a shop I would mount some tires up to take pictures. I hope you don't think I was bashing your plans of 245s, I just wanted to share my opinion since I fairly recently mounted those up for the same reason. Definitely find some pictures though to help in your decision.

No offense taken I would much rather hear from someone who has done it as opposed to have never been there.

I'm mainly trying to make this my bird a lil sportier looking cause that lil bitty 215 is just to freakin tiny

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pics guys Yall ROCK!!!

One favor would it be possible to get a straight on rear shot of the back end and possibly one kinda straight down of the tires trying to get ideas in my head on how they would look compared to the tires on there now

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I've been running the Cooper Cobras for years, both on my T'bird and Tracer LTS. Good all around tire for a low price. I have 235/60's on the rear and 215/60's up front. My car was on the front page 10/5-10/11 if you'd like to see a pic.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Tires

I prefer BFG and Goodyear tires.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Don't know about the coopers, never had them on either of my cars. But I can vouch that the BFGoodrich Radial T/A's are awesome!

I do sort of miss powersliding everywhere with my cheap General tires though. The Radial T/A's make it much harder to break 'em free. No idea how many miles on them because my odometer stopped, but I have been rough on them and treadwear has been very slight considering. And they are wearing very evenly too.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The BFG Radial T/A's have my vote. They just look (and from personal experience) hook up better than the Coopers. Again, JMHO having used both. Currently running 235/70/15's on front and 255/60/15's on rear with BBS rims. Get at least one compliment a day from passerby's.

·
Super Moderator
10,918 Posts
I just put a set of BFG G-force Sport 235-60-15 tires on my red cougar; it has the sport springs on it... handles nice... :)

I love 'em!

I was waiting for the Traction T/A 235's to come in, but they never did; I didn't want to go back to 225s, so I bought the sports.

Better traction than the Traction T/A's, but I'm sure they won't last 40k miles, either. :rolleyes:

245's are a bit too wide for the rims for rough handling, IMHO. They're not stiff enough feeling from the steering wheel for me. (YMMV...)

Cooper tires age too fast for me; the rubber gets hard in less than a year, it seems. They do burnouts real well then, tho. :D

By the time my traction T/A's were getting too stiff, they were worn out. :)

Anyone else have issues with the rear tires wearing in the center as if overinflated? I'm now running the rears 3psi lower than the fronts... :confused: Tire wear is more even now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts