TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing that the DOHC builds yield higher performance gains with big bore over stroking.
I understand there is a wet and dry method to resleeving the block?
Anyone have any ideas what one is looking at as costs to do the big bore machine work?

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I am hearing that the DOHC builds yield higher performance gains with big bore over stroking.
I understand there is a wet and dry method to resleeving the block?
Anyone have any ideas what one is looking at as costs to do the big bore machine work?
The last time I checked, the Big-Bore machine work was $900 - $1500 for a Dry Sleeve Big-Bore. Wet Sleeve Big-Bores were around $3000. If you intend to run FI and lots of boost, you may want to consider the Wet sleeve. N/A or mild boost, the dry sleeve will work fine for you.

I can't remember the differences between the wet sleeve and dry sleeve methods other than the wet sleeve will stand more abuse and costs twice as much.

Modular Performance and Renegade Racing are the only 2 places I would get the Big-Bore machine work done. The other option to buy a Big-Bore block from Ford.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is some good information. Right now I am looking to run the 9psi Kenny Bell kit.
You mentioned buying a big bore kit from Ford which I didn't even know was available. Great into.

I already have a teksid block, a good set of "C" heads, and a forged crank to start with, I am thinking my answer is being handed to me more and more.

It looks like the realistic build, expecially to ensure the financial ability to afford the KB kit, I will need to stick with the stock displacement internals.
I'm afraid the big bore is going to set me way over budget and since I have a good crank the stroker kit isn't going to be a consideration either.
Thanks for the info and the pics

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
After going with the dry sleeve with mine back in 2004, John at MP assured me that it would hold up well with 16 psi of boost or less. If you really want to get crazy with the boost, a standard bored block would be better. However, for most applications, the standard dry sleeve works fine.

Pete

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bigbore gives you more gains over stroking because it unshrouds the valve which increases airflow. I've asked around about increase in flow on DOHC by going to a 3.7in bore in the past and was given a rough estimate of about a 20cfm on intake and exhaust (this was for 03/04 4v heads and I'd call it a very rough estimate since no one wanted to give me a straight answer).

Dry sleeve is pretty much the way to go on any street car as you really need to be pushing crazy power to need the extra cooling from a wet setup. Also I've heard many a horror story about coolant leaks with wet sleeved applications

·
2,118 Posts
Well there was some dry sleeve Big-Bores that had head gasket issues. Those were all from a certain company that I did not have in my recommended list. That company( *cough* VT Engines *cough* ) inserted the sleeves upside down compared to a Modular Performance Big-Bore.

There is other companies offering Big-Bores now. I have no idea how they insert the sleeves. I asked one of those companies( Livernois ) on a few boards and never got an answer.

I know that the Ford 5.0L Big-Bore blocks, Modular Performance and Renegade Racing insert the sleeves the same way. That is why they are the ones I recommend.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well this is not intended to high jack this thread, as I see that mercury267 is taken care of on his original questions.

I am selling my Modular Performance built big bore short block with only about 7k miles on it. If anyone is interested please PM me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this is not intended to high jack this thread, as I see that mercury267 is taken care of on his original questions.

I am selling my Modular Performance built big bore short block with only about 7k miles on it. If anyone is interested please PM me.
No worries! Post away! :)

How much and got any pics?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I know that the Ford 5.0L Big-Bore blocks, Modular Performance and Renegade Racing insert the sleeves the same way. That is why they are the ones I recommend.
Because John Tymensky of Modular Performance had a hand in the engine's development while he was still an engineer for Ford :)

Pete

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i got a question now i've been told that stroking a 4.6 is a waste of time but would stroking make a lot better numbers with a 3.7" bored 4.6?. i know the problem with stroking has to do with the valves being so close to the wall if im not mistaken so boring it would move the walls away from the valves so would stroking bring out serious numbers.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
with forced induction, yes......naturally aspirated, no.....unless you have very deep pockets to get the short block to rev to the moon...even then, the heads would have to be bastardly good (aka trickflow heads or 4V heads)

·
2,118 Posts
with forced induction, yes......naturally aspirated, no.....unless you have very deep pockets to get the short block to rev to the moon...even then, the heads would have to be bastardly good (aka trickflow heads or 4V heads)
Even with deep pockets, I am not sure that a Big-Bore/Stroker will be an improvement over a Big-Bore in a N/A setup.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
perhaps not in the 2V world, but 4V's in consideration opens up much more possiblilities IMO........personally, i'd like to destroke a big-bore mod block and watch the rpm capabilities go through the roof....I have two teksids here suitable for that :).....I already found a source for a nice custom billet short-stroke crank (read: $$$ lol) but then the auto trans becomes an issue (that hopefully dirtyd0g will solve for me ;) )

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you really want to see what a streetable N/A 4.6 based BB is capable of, ask around about Nazman's old setup on his 99 Cobra. Car made something like 439rwhp @ 7,200 rpms with ported FR500 H/C/I and 11:1 compression ratio all on pump 93 octane gas. It really shows how well 4v heads perform on BB when used with a great intake especially considering FR500 cams are very mild. There are a good number of decent videos on StreetFire of the car with that setup.

EDIT here is a link to some vids, however some are not of the setup I mentioned.

Naz's Vids

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
If you really want to see what a streetable N/A 4.6 based BB is capable of, ask around about Nazman's old setup on his 99 Cobra. Car made something like 439rwhp @ 7,200 rpms with ported FR500 H/C/I and 11:1 compression ratio all on pump 93 octane gas. It really shows how well 4v heads perform on BB when used with a great intake especially considering FR500 cams are very mild. There are a good number of decent videos on StreetFire of the car with that setup.

EDIT here is a link to some vids, however some are not of the setup I mentioned.

Naz's Vids

and Al Papitto's 97 cobra made 539rwhp on a 5.5L BB/stroker....streetable? perhaps not, but just goes to show that with deep pockets (and knowledge of course), big power can be wrung out of a BB/stroker mod motor

·
Registered
174 Posts
and Al Papitto's 97 cobra made 539rwhp on a 5.5L BB/stroker....streetable? perhaps not, but just goes to show that with deep pockets (and knowledge of course), big power can be wrung out of a BB/stroker mod motor

Unfortunately to make good reliable power with any modular calls for deep pockets. Of course we all know or should know the old saying “Fast, Reliable, Cheap pick two.”

Knowledge does help out though as the owner of the car I mentioned did all the porting himself which saved him god knows how much. He may have also built his own bottom end but I am not certain about that. Either way those FR500 pieces cost him a pretty penny.

Interestingly enough Naz’s newest build is a 4.6 based BB stroker 322ci (the old was just a BB 305ci) and is putting out 537rwhp. Very impressive for a 4.6 build when considering Al Papitto’s numbers were made with a 5.4 based build using the Ford GT block (not that those numbers aren't impressive as well).

When ever you get started on that custom 4.6 based build give me shout on here I’d love to see a monster come to life. I’ve been a big fan of N/A modular builds for a long while I guess since they are so rare. Either way good luck on the build.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts