TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's wrong with an engine if it sounds like i got a damn snare drummer in my engine and it overheats severely

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Could you try and go into more details about how the engine is acting? Sounding like a snare drum doesn't exactly explain a lot ya know?

Sounds like maybe you're pinging. What octane do you run? As for the overheating. can you go into more detail about how it overheats? Does it gradually climb up to hot or just it skyrocket out of nowhere? And how hot does it get?

-Thomas

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
92ILTBird said:
what's wrong with an engine if it sounds like i got a damn snare drummer in my engine and it overheats severely
<---drummer

what kind of snare drum does it sound like? piccolo, marching, or what? is the drummer doing a drumroll, flam taps, or sixteenth notes? :D jk, i had to do it

as for the overheating, you better get that fixed now. dont drive the car if its overheating or your headgaskets will go bye bye like mine yesterday :(

·
8,978 Posts
big mike said:

<---drummer
DITTO. ya weirdo.

Hey yeah mike's right. do NOT drive a car that overheats. if the head gaskets are blown already you're just asking for it by driving the car like that.

When was the last time you replaced the thermostat?

-Thomas

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i try to start it it turns over really slow and the overheating is ilke all at once
when i slow down and come to a stop the whole car shuts down

·
Registered
940 Posts
Do you hear any loud hissing sounds?

Any unusual smoke coming out of it?

Also check your oil, does it smell weird, is it black or burnt?

·
8,978 Posts
TBird232ci said:
sounds as if its working on locking up
I agree, you probably have a very large leak going into the cylinders. That'd be my guess. I've seen a locking up issue with a grand am that had blown HG's and it was leaking into the cylinders bad.
-Thomas

·
Registered
298 Posts
sounds like you got a bad headgasket leak and the snare drum noise could possibly be rod knock from a bent rod

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the oil was pretty black, and the knock very loud

·
Registered
298 Posts
take your plugs out and look into your cylinders, if one piston is bright and shiny while the others are black, then you got antifreeze in there. Then it probably raised the compression through the roof and damaged a rod hence the knock. Partially hydrolocked would also cause it to be hard to turn over.

How's you oil pressure?

The antifreeze may have killed your bearings and now you have low pressure which is causing some knocking.

But if the knock is very loud as you say I would bet on Rod knock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well...anybody wanna buy a car

·
Registered
298 Posts
92ILTBird said:
well...anybody wanna buy a car
:uppoint: Sorry to laugh man, but I pictured you saying that like fvck it who wants a car.

Yeah sounds like your engine is toast. Maybe you could try to find a 4.2 out of a 2002 f-150 or something for cheap and slap it in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea, i'd really like to have a new car, but with no job at 16 years old and now no transportation, thats probably not gonna happen too soon

·
Registered
298 Posts
There is an Illinois chapter, maybe some locals will help check out your bird.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hey, don't worry too much, even if the head gaskets are toast. If the car is basically a beater, why not get a cheap junkyard engine? Check the major internals, and if it looks ok, make a swap. Or look around this forum for a used engine. And you could probably find someone in IL who can help you out.

·
8,978 Posts
knappy will be taking out the 3.8 motor in his mustang to swap in his modded 3.8 from his wrecked bird. You could probably buy his old motor from the stang, he lives in Danville, IL.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/knappy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts