TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start driving, I feel a clunk and vibration. I believe its coming from the rear passenger side. I'm trying to figure out what it is, and how much its gonna cost me to repair it. It vibrates/rocks the car alittle while driving, and i can hear it clunk when I start driving sometimes. Could it be one of the symptoms below?

differantial Bushing?
wheel bearings?
Ujoint?

anyone know the pricing to get them replaced if its one of those?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
there are u joints, but they are on the drive shaft.. on the axle shafts they are constant velocity joints.

As for your clunk, I would make sure everything is tight in the back and your ujoints are in good shape

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, les schwab said its 178 installed for the cv joints. But they are gonna inspect it tomorrow while I'm at work. The only thing about having it fixed though, is that it takes money away from my xbox360 savings.. :(

But i get payed 3 times this month, so the last check is going right back in, so I guess it wont be too bad

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
could be the u-joint, either of the cv axles, the differential mounts, sway bar links. The wheel bearing shouldnt clunk on acceleration, it would be more of a squeeling or grinding around corners.
-Thomas

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
The rubber spring isolators in the rear was the cause of my clunk.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A bad u-joint will clunk when you first put it in gear. If you let it go past that then it starts vibrating as the drive shaft becomes unbalanced.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
take it to a good drivetrain shop. and replace the U joints. you'll thank yourself. mine came off at the transmission at 100mph and snapped the transmission clean in half. 990 for new trans, driveshaft, and ujoints.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Next I'd look at the diff bushings. How do they look? And btw, I checked my driveshaft and it was rock solid but I took it out and replaced the U-joints anyway. When I took it out, the needle bearings in one of the four cups were completely gone. Just worn to powder.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
you can install those diff bushings yourself. all you need are a couple wrenches and a jack. just drop it down enough to get them off them bolt it back up. you dont even have to disconnect the driveshaft.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine makes that clunk noise only when i put it in reverse, i took it to the shop and i was told that the CV joints have slop in them...........that was a year ago.....lately at certain rpms, i believe before shiftin from 2 to 3, i hear a like woohhing noise coming from the rear....i think i def need to replace the cv joints....but who knows

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
you do know this thread is 2 years old...

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I'm glad it was resurrected, actually, because I have a question relating to this. I don't get a clunk shifting from Park or between Drive and Reverse, but I do have a drive train vibration when coasting. Sometimes it's pronounced, sometimes you can barely tell.

Anyway, it's been there for a few years and I replaced the front and rear u-joints when I first started noticing it, but that didn't change anything. CV joints wouldn't cause that, would they?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts