TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently dropped the tranny to check out the rear seal and if needed replace it. (I thought there was a leak there.) Anyway, I started reassembling everything and finally got the tranny back together. I added 4 quarts of Mercon last night and then slept for a bit and then this morning added 6 more quarts. I then started the car and was going to move the tranny through the gears while adding 3 more quarts but I heard a hissing noise. The noise was a deluge of red Mercon dripping out of my transmission. About 5-6 quarts were on my garage floor.

Anyone know what could be the cause of this? Basically, the tranny is not accepting anymore fluid and is spitting it out when I start the car.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
check the fluid level...i bet it full. you don't need 13 quarts because you didn't drain the torque converter.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, did I forget to mention that. I guess I did. :) I did drain the TC.

I called Aamco for some advice and the mechanic said that I only need to put about 3 quarts in to begin with and work my way up checking the fluid level as I go.

Oh, and the dip stick doesn't register that anything is in the tranny.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I experienced the same thing when I checked my 1-2 accumulator. I was so proud that I had went into the tranny and back. I was careful to measure the amount of fluid drained (included the torque converter) so I could fill it with appropriate amount. Well at the 10th quart, something told me to look under the car and #$&%^@! oil everywhere. Apparently I had poured the oil in too fast and the pressure forced fluid out of the overflow tube which is nothing more than a rubber hose with a crimped end. Lesson learned: pour half of what you think you need in and then start the engine to circulate the oil. Add the rest slowly.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Generalee said:
Lesson learned: pour half of what you think you need in and then start the engine to circulate the oil. Add the rest slowly.
Yep. Start the car up and work through the gears, while at a stop. Do not drive it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, you pretty much saved my life. I have to move myself to college tomorrow and my T-bird has to get me there. I'll tell you how it comes along. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts