TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the biggest dia tire that can fit on a t-bird? Right now I have 235/60-15 which is ~26.1". Looking at some 215/70-15 which is ~26.9".

Thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The green 1995 LX in my sig came to me last year on 215/70-15 B F Goodrich tires which was the stock size as far as I can tell, they were on it in that sig pic.

I now have 225/60-16s on sport wheels, just about same diameter. The speedo of my '95 is just about dead on accurate with either one.

235/60-15s were a bit shorter, I ran them on my old '85.

You could easily run 235/70-15 on the rear, likely even 245/70-15s but just keep inmind changes to speedometer accuracy.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Looking at some 215/70-15 which is ~26.9".

Thanks
That's the stock size for the 96 Cougar, lol.

I run 225/60-15's on my cars; 225/60-16's on Lazarus, the Black Cougar.

·
Super Moderator
5,122 Posts
I have 225/65R16s on the Cougar now. The 225/70R16s were just a bit too tall.

RwP

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...on 215/70-15 B F Goodrich tires which was the stock size as far as I can tell, they were on it in that sig pic.
That's the stock size for the 96 Cougar, lol.
215/70-15 is stock.

Doh! Probably should have looked at the sticker on the door or wherever it is. I always thought my 235/60-15's were taller then stock too lol. I need to get winter tires so I'm looking for the biggest I can fit diameter wise. Mainly concerned with the front rubbing when turning. Looks like the rear can take a pretty decent size bigger, but want to keep all 4 the same size.

I have 225/65R16s on the Cougar now. The 225/70R16s were just a bit too tall.

RwP
Did the 225/70R16's rub? How bad was it, and are you lowered?

Now thinking of either 205/75-15's or 225/70-15's. A little taller then stock, but shouldn't rub (hopefully lol). The 205's should cut through snow and slush real nice.

-Dave

·
Super Moderator
5,122 Posts
Did the 225/70R16's rub? How bad was it, and are you lowered?
Well, if I stood them by the car, they were taller than the fender well, with the 225/65R16s on the car. Which don't clear by MUCH, but do clear.

The guy even offered to mount one and see how it fit. I thanked him but didn't. The current tires are about 5% low in speed ( i.e., at an indicated 70 MPH, I'm doing about 72 or 73). The best part is, I bought them not-new (hey, they had stipples on them still - couldn't been VERY used!) for $170 mounted and balanced.

The car has stock springs on a 20 or 21 year old car, I think it IS lowered some, but not by design :D

Hmm ... Have to clean the finger prints and brake dust off the wheels and post a pic. But they new Yokohama Avids ride MUCH better than the old ones. (Due to being broke and my nephew owning a wrecking yard, I had Sears Guardsman on the front and BFGs on the back. Don't ask me what series of either - they're gone now.)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I can attest that a good snow tire in the stock 215-70-15 size works wonderfully in Minnesota snow.

People don't seem to factor wheel width in their tire size calculations. The 16" stock wheels are 7", while the 15" stock wheels are 6.5. That causes the overall diameter of the mounted tire to be virtually identical, where on paper and unmounted they're not. I don't understand why the tire size calculators don't factor wheel width in, but that's my understanding.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I ended up getting 205/75-15's. They don't rub, and I'm lowered 1.5". So far so good.

·
Super Moderator
5,122 Posts
David - That's about how my tires fill my wheel wells.

Looks good IMO - better than the "Hey, the springs have collapsed!" look some folks like.

I like the wheel wells filled, with the center of the wheel about concentric with the center of the well arc myself.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
Good Looin' car David!

Tell me about that Cobra R hood.

Where'd ya get it, how much was it, how long have you had it?

Could you post pictures of it with views from other angles?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good Looin' car David!

Tell me about that Cobra R hood.

Where'd ya get it, how much was it, how long have you had it?

Could you post pictures of it with views from other angles?

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply, my work hrs blow.

I got it from here: http://www.fiberpartsconcepts.com/
There was a group buy a few years ago so I think I payed $400 or 450, cant remember. Fit and finish was pretty good. Its finished on the underside so you can use the regular hood latch and hood struts.

I've had it for probably 3 years, 2 of which it sat in the shed LOL. I painted it myself outside so its not perfect.

Almost forgot, this is a 96-97 hood with 96-97 headlights, corner lights, and header panel. Only difference is the cutout for the different headlight shape IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
Thanks for the reply and addl. pictures.

How's it look from inside the car? Could you post one more picture of the view from behind the wheel across the top of the dash?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts